Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've got a bit of a problem here....

I've got a rat i've had for about 2 months and a rat i've had for about 2.5-3 weeks. My new rat is perfectly healthy as of so far, but my old rat still is sneezing. he started sneezing like a day or two after i got him, and has kept it up (but not gotten worse). i took him to the vet and she gave me an antibactial medication to help him got over it, but after a week, it hasnt gotten any better, and i'm wondering if it's just something that he does or what and whether i should introduce the new rat to him, cuz if i wait to long, they'll get to old and fight each other.

Should i introduce them, or keep waiting it out...again--the sneezing rat has always sneezed, but it's never gotten worse except on somedays but then it goes down again.
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd probably call your vet and ask if she feels the older rat will get the younger sick before introducing them. It's probably just chronic, but if the younger has a weak immune system it could be acute in him. :?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Personally, I would wait rather than risk the possibility of two sick rats (assuming that it isn't an airborne illness). If the medication isn't working, it sounds like you need to go back to the vets for a second check up. Did the vet say what the medicine was for, or was it a just in case prescription?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it's supposed to treat upper repseratory infection (i dont think i spelled that right) but i'm not positive. but if it is URP then my other rats probably goin to get it anyways--and like i said--idk how old my resident rat is and if i wait much longer, i'm afraid hes gonna get "manly" with the other rat. i'm also on a very fixed income so another vet visit is a very last resort.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh--and one more thing--i dont think it's airborne cuz i havnt been doing a very good job of cleaning up between visits of each rat, and i've played with my old rat in the same room as the new one but on the opposite end of it (its a pretty large room).

·
Registered
432 Posts
You've already broken quarantine, then, if you've played with them in the same room. Quarantine must be in separate airspace to be a true quarantine.

However, if the infection that's causing the sneezing is the result of mycoplasma, it can only be transmitted by direct exchange. Sneezing on each other, or grooming is a common form of transmission, and you can also carry the bacteria yourself from rat to rat, even if they don't touch.

So... if you have viral issues, then your quarantine is breached. If you have just mycoplasma issues, then your quarantine may or may not be breached. I can't speak for any other bacteria that come along with mycoplasma, though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That doesnt answer my question though--so are you saying that my rats can never meet if its mycoplasma. I know i've broken quaritine and i'm fine with that cuz i've kept them separate for over 2 weeks and my new rat seems even healthier than my old one. If it is myco though, would my new rat get it if i introduce them?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
all rats have myco. they're born with it. its teh flare up that cause the problems. think of it kinda like astma. a person can live with a mild case and just have to be careful when running long distances. but if tehy keep getting attacks their lungs can be damaged and their astma can get worse. myco is a little different that it lowers immune systems as well so simple colds that one rat can fight off the other rat will get a myco flare and because of the way it is that myco flare acts like a cold and can cause another rat to flare.

so the answer you're question simply, yes, your sick older rat can get your new rat sick if there is contact. your new rat may not get sick right away but with more exposure the higher the chance that the little one will get sick too.

i know you said you're strapped for cash right now but you're really going to want to wait for the meds before introing

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
twitch--i've got meds for my old rat, and it really doesnt seem to be doing anything. i've been giving it to him for about 1 week now. if i get it under control, can i intro them? thanks to everyone whos responded so far, but i'd still like your input if anyone has any.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
sometimes it can take a while for them to work. then again maybe that course of antibiotics aren't effective. what was prescribed? most often baytril and doxy combos get rid of most cases but you'll want enough for at least 2 weeks to amke sure its gone.

once you get the flare under control you can intro your rats anytime. it really doesn't matter what age they are. the only difference is that it is most often easier to intro a baby to an adult or a baby to a baby. but that's not always teh case either. worse case scenario is that you'll have to take a longer and slower route in intro-ing. there are cases of rats rejecting other rats entirely but really that's not all that common and even the ones that are reported after trying a different intro technique or getting the agressive male neutered they were able to be intro-ed.

donnaK recently intro-ed a couple females. one was older and had been on her own for some time and the other younger but certainly no longer a baby. she went slow and was able to get them together. they seem very happy snoozing on the hammock together in her sig.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
be careful giving a rat meds that were prescribed for a rat a while back. you have to make sure that you have enough meds left over to give the second rat the full treatment prescribed for the first rat (and that time may differ for each animal). this is that whole antibiotic-resistant bacteria thing that we need to worry about - the first bacteria to die in any antibiotic regimen are the weaker ones, so if you don't have enough meds to finish off all the bacteria, you only leave the strong ones to breed. it's a scary thing - in the US we now have multiple-drug-resistant tuberculosis among other things; there's pretty much no cure and those infected pretty much *will* die. :( my little sopabox, sorry!

and vayera, i think that if you can get it under control, i'd go with it. if you can't now, you may still be able to later, it will just take longer. and besides, you know how ridiculous it would be to keep an animal in quarantine for the rest of it's life? eventually someone will slip up and your rats will get each other sick any way, i would think...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, i've decided to start the intro process. rex--my older rat--does seem to be getting better, he only really truly sneezes when he's eating. i let them kinda sniff each other through the bars of one of their cages (making sure that they wouldnt pounce on each other XD) Dont worry about me, i've got that whole intro thing worked out--i'm excited to see how they do though. I'll keep you updated on if rex gets sicker or it roy--the younger one--gets what rex has. i dont think he will cuz he seems like a pretty strong little guy. thanx for all your help everyone, but if you have any more info that you think would help--feel free to post it :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts