Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to trim my boys toenails tonight and he wouldn't let me do it--- How do you trim your ratties toenails?

I need suggestions-- because his nails are getting really long.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I use human fingernail clippers. I also hold the foot and toe so that my hand/fingers cover everything except the nail to be removed. I just snick off the sharp ends. Be careful not to cut too much, when they bleed they really bleed. 8O

Take your time, offer treats and figure out what your rat is comfortable with. Most are good sitting in my lap but me holding their front up and trimming those front nails. The hind nails can be a bit harder, more like a horse...they will kick out and pull those feet away from you.

Careful but quick is the way to go. Don't try to cut too much this time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is sooo difficult! With my older boy it is not so bad as he isn't into running around like the other two. I give him a treat and while he is eating it I use small human clippers to clip his toes. Sometimes he gets a bit agitated but it is for his benefit lol. I've also managed to file them so they aren't as sharp.

Good luck!

SFN ~

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
songfornemo said:
It is sooo difficult! With my older boy it is not so bad as he isn't into running around like the other two. I give him a treat and while he is eating it I use small human clippers to clip his toes. Sometimes he gets a bit agitated but it is for his benefit lol. I've also managed to file them so they aren't as sharp.

Good luck!

SFN ~
I wouldn't advise filing them as little toes could easily break. Have you tried the brick under the waterbottle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
you probably know this already but i'll mention it anyway.
if you do accidently cut the quick, just run a softened up bar of soap across the top of the bleeding nail, this should stop the blood flow.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've heard about the brick under the water bottle doing wonders...

Otherwise, how about wrapping him gently in a towel with a paw exposed? (besides his head of course... lol)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use baby nailclippers and wrap my babies in a warm towel or fleece hat or something that is soft and warm. This really calms my babies nerves. I also keep telling them in a soft, reassuring tone how good they are. Afterwards, I give them a treat for being such good little ratties!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts