Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situtation: 2 little boys will undergo neuter surgery soon (they will be 10 weeks old by then).

Question: Should I keep them together in the days after surgery? Or would it be better to keep them separate for a time? And why?

They are brothers and have lived only with each other since I took them in a month ago. They are also best pals, not aggressive behavior of any kind, but I am worried if their constant wrestling could hinder the healing process post-op.

Malarz

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've never had a boy so I don't know anything about post-op neutering. I've had TONS of tumor removals in my care though. Every rat SHOULD spend some time alone to heal because they love to pick at each others stitches.

I've had some rats who get so miserable alone that I have to put them back in with the other hours after surgery. Some simply can't because stitches will get picked open.

I don't know how bad the wound looks post-op for a neuter so my best advice is to watch them like a hawk if you keep them together. If they show no interest in picking at each other, they will probably be fine.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've had boys and girls get spayed/neutered. I had two brothers neutered at the same time and kept them together. They were totally fine. Didn't bother their own stitches and didn't bother each other's stitches. I also had 2 girls and 1 boy fixed at the same time and let them live together immediately (woke up together in the same recovery cage) and that was part of their introductions and it worked amazingly. they were able to live together and bonded right away from waking up together and groggily snuggled as they sedatives wore off. They didn't bother their own or each other's stitches either.

Whatever you do, it's a good idea to keep a very close eye on them at least for the first 24 hours to make sure they don't nibble themselves or each other. they may also need pain meds and if they are acting too unhappy or doing the owwie stretches too often.

I also had a girl have an emergency spay because of uterine bleeding earlier this year and I think I kept her separate overnight in a travel cage next to my bed, and she was ok. Put back in with her family the next day and no problems.

The only time I had problems was with my recently passed on heart-rat who had 2 surgeries to get a spay and tumors removed. It might have just been her own quirky nature or the tumor location surgery, but she was awful with tearing at her stitches. after one surgery she left it alone and it was getting well healed, but after a week, she decided to rip it open and bleed everywhere, very scary. but thankfully she didn't bother the spay incision hardly at all, just the tumor incisions.

I hope that was helpful! I've yet to have any issues with spay/neuter stitches and I think your boys would be safe together as long as you're able to watch them closely the first day.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have two brother that were neutered the same day. My vet said they could stay together, and she said the company actually keeps their minds more occupied to focus on each other rather than the lack of ummmm..... Their parts. They did absolutely fine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will let them stay together then. And I will stay up the first night to see how they are doing.

My only experience was with Baloo a year ago, and he was alone in cage after his surgery, and he liked to mess with the wound, so healing took a few more days then it should have. On the other hand, he was glued not stiched (because the stich would not hold for some reason), so maybe that extended the healing period.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts