Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two cages right now, one for my two girls and one for my three boys. The cage the girls are in is temporary because they ate through the plastic base of the last one and I have yet been able to afford a new cage. The temporary cage is also the "sick" cage, just so you can get an idea of its size. It's 2 ft X 1 ft X 1 ft. Nowhere near large enough for my active girls.

The boys’ cage is 2.5 ft X 3 ft X 1 ft and fits their lazy bums quite nicely. The cage was originally twice this size, but after three of their cage mates passed away, half of the cage was barely used by the remaining buggers so I condensed it to half the size for a day or two, to see how they reacted. They just went about their normal routine, as if it their cage was still 5 ft tall, so I just kept it at half size.

My question is: If I return the boys' cage to its original size, but keep it separated as two cages by row of shelves, could I put the girls in that close of a proximity to the boys? Or would it cause the boys to become too territorial? They are all about two years old, so is their sexual drive lower by now or do the boys still have raging testosterone?

On a side note, my girl, Harley, loves hammocks, but her cage mate immediately destroys them when they are put in the cage. Is there something that can be done about this?

They also have this cute little nesting box that is actually a dog toy (a large plastic ball with four openings where a smaller ball used to be). It’s cute…but too small for them. However, they get depressed whenever I try to replace it with something larger. They’re little dorks, I say! I even put in other nest boxes, but they just refuse to use them. Is it okay for them to squeeze into that tiny little ball all the time? But they seem to love it, lol.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you can absolutely guarantee that your boys and girls cant possibly mingle or get to each other, then there shouldnt be a problem with housing them in the same cage, divided.

my girls are destructive little buggers too, and wreck anything that vaguely resembles a hammock. i solved this by getting cheap planter baskets made of wicker from the dollar store and so far, none of them have been destroyed. the girls love them!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Girls who are not spayed often WILL find ways to get to males close by. By shelves, what do you mean?

It certainly *could* work, but I'd make sure there is NO way for them to get through the divider. If the shelves are plastic, they can and very well may chew through.

On a FN, for example, it's recommended that one separate sections if there will be opposite sexes in each, with Plexiglas. Just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cage came with nine removeable, relocatable, purple shelves, but I've recently ordered more for the cage. The cage is three of these shelves long. If I line these three shelves up, then they shouldn't be able to get through them. The cage used to be separated this way, because two of my boys did not got along well at all with the others. They were never able to get to each other.

Those planter baskets do sound cute!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts