Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that Squo is too fat. He eats Harland Teklad (spelling?) plus homemade food as per The Rat Lady's recipe. He also gets many healthy treats, but maybe too many :/. He loves his food and I love to make him happy!

Whats the recommendation for the amount of food a 2 yr old male should eat? I give him like 3/4 of a tablespoon twice a day of the homemade food and unlimited access to lab blocks. I probably should limit his blocks huh?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
What harlan teklad are you using? Some has 18% protein which is much too high. Not only can it make him pudgy but can cause kidney problems.

Additionally, the mix is probably throwing off the blocks nutritional completeness. I would pick one or the other (if you're using Debbie's mix...definitely pick blocks).

A rat should eat a pound of food a month, which I think is around four cups which means around 2 tablespoons of food a day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. He's on the adult blocks, so it should be the appropriate protein. Why would the homemade food throw off the nutritional completeness? I thought the variety would be good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts