Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out keeping rats with my three oldest girls. About 2 months ago I was given a little baby rat and decided to get her a friend to grow up with until they were ready for introductions. I have started the introduction process and feel confident they will be all living together in my DCN in the next week or so. Late last night I got a frantic call from an old friend of mine saying she needs to get rid of her two rats very soon. They are over a year old at this point, likely close to a year and a half so they don't have too many more years left in them. In the past my friend babysat my rats at her house for over a month and my three rats were slowly introduced to her pair and became fast friends. Now I am trying to decide if I should take in her pair on top of my already large mischief. She's afraid they will end up going to someone who will not care for them properly.

She was not suppose to have her rats in her newest apartment and I guess she failed an inspection because of them, so they need to be gone quickly. If I take them she will be able to visit them and know they are in good hands. I'm a little apprehensive about have 7 rats at one time though. And I'm not sure how well her pair will introduce to my babies. She will give me their cage too so I will have somewhere to house them during quarantine and until the whole group of seven is introduced.

Anyone with a very large mischief can you give me advice? In your opinion will 7 smaller female rats fit comfortably in a DCN? My friends rats are 1.5 years old and came from a back years breeder (also are high white) should I expect that they won't live much longer? I just can't decide what the right thing to do is ): I'm really enjoying having 5 rats, so larger mischiefs don't seem bad to me, I just don't know is 7 will push it over the limit?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
The DCN will easily hold 7, so that's not an issue. Although you'll likely have to clean it more frequently and you'll go through more food. But if you're OK with that I don't think 7 is too many. As long as they all get along I'm betting it wont be much different then having 5.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have seven, and it really doesn't feel that much different from when I had 4. I do have to have separate outside play time so that they boys and girls don't meet, but other than that, it's been easy.

We have the girls in the SCN, and will be doing a separated addition, so I do plan on technically having seven in a DCN, even though it's really 3 and 4 in SCNs.

Something to keep in mind is vet costs. The more you have the more you need to set aside in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vet costs are something I have though about, but I think it would be okay. I have gotten pretty good at treating minor respiratory issues and cuts/scrapes/etc. at home so I have only ever had to visit the vet for treatment and meds one time. It also helps having rats or various ages so that issues like tumors don't all got at the same time.

Free range time is simple owning all of the same sex rats :)

I would probably just have to clean more often which isn't a big deal xD and thankfully I have a mom who loves rats and loves watching them if I ever do have to go out of town.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have eight. You probably know how it is, three feels like two, eight feels like when I just had four! (It's a bit harder to close the cage doors when you are being stormed by eight) My eight girls are in a DCN, and I would have to say it depends on your mischief. Sometimes I think my girls would happily live in a shoebox. :p They barely even use the bottom story. And as far as high white goes, it varies each rat. Some may never be effected. I really enjoy having a large mischief but I'm aware it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, okay thanks everyone! I have a lot to think about.

Since she needs the rats out of the apartment ASAP I'm thinking I will take them at least for a little while sort of as a foster situation. After they get through quarantine and stuff I'll see how they all get along and then I'll decide if I want to keep them or try rehoming them to someone who will provide a good forever home for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts