Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed right away when I got Cheshire that he had an issue with eating. He eats, but he has a hard time it seems. It takes him longer to get through a lab block than normal and he would actually prefer to lap the crumbs up from the ground than chew the block. When I went to the vet I asked her to check his teeth and she told me that it was too difficult to do without sedation...red flag there which is sad because I love this clinic and a certain vet that works there. Unfortunately the one I like is the owner of the clinic and doesn't have set schedules, she just shows up! But she actually showed me both my older boys teeth when I brought them in for their yearly checkup. So I was a bit offput when this one said she couldn't do it without sedation, but I let it go and went home. Well i saw Cheshire yawn today and noticed only one prominent tooth at the bottom. I think I saw another little one next to it but whether it was broken or just hadn't fully grown I'm not sure. Basically I'm just worried that it's an issue for him. Is this common? Do you think it hurts him to eat, or in general? Just please some advice or input because I'm really worried about him.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If they are uneven, they may need to clipped down so that they can grow evenly again. If it broke, it's
possible there is an abscess, and that would cause pain to eat as well.

Weird that the vet wouldn't look. I had a boy, Thunder, years ago who had teeth issues that required he had regular clippings or they would severely over grow. My vet had no issues checking his mouth and clipping without any anesthetic. Wasn't even traumatizing for him or painful, though the vet was awesome and really loved rats and it showed. She always bribed with treats too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, and its upsetting because I love all the workers there and they all know my older boys. They were so wonderful when I had my last girl pts and this last visit is kind of heartbreaking. I'll call and see if I can set something up. Maybe I can just demand to see the doctor I want. I just didn't want to be THAT client.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone explain how to do an at home teeth exam? Like a proper way to examine his teeth? He still doesn't like being held unless it's under his terms. And I don't want to stress him out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually just got a look at his teeth. He was very sweet about it. Didn't struggle at all. He does have a broken bottom tooth AND his top teeth have curved. It's not an extreme hook or anything, I'd say more of a parenthesis. Still, I'm not thinking its good. I'm calling the vet tomorrow and going in asap. Any suggestions until then? I wet some of his lab blocks which he took gratefully. I'm going to chop up some banana for him because he loves those (now that I think about it its probably because they are mooshy enough for him to eat comfortably).

I'm so frustrated though. Had the vet done what I'd asked we would have been able to help him out two weeks ago and my Cheshire would have been able to be comfortable...Now I'm going to have to pay ANOTHER exam fee plus whatever else they plan on doing for him. Very upsetting, for the both of us I'm sure. =/

Thank you for your help Mimsy.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Poor guy. Sounds like you are doing the right thing till you can get him in. He should be fine eating soft food till he can have his teeth fixed.

It should be an easy fix. He probably somehow broke the teeth so wasn't able to grind down the others. Once the long ones are clipped back they should grow back normally again, hopefully.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank you raindear. That was interesting. I went to the vet this morning and it turns out that his teeth were very overgrown. His "chin" is practically nonexistant and the doctor said that it feels as if there could have been some kind of trauma to it. So his teeth don't align properly and he will have to get them clipped every so often. But she also discovered that he has terrible gums. She mentioned that it appeared to be beginnings of gingivitis. Already receding and VERY sensitive. He started bleeding a little just by her touching them with the rounded part of the clippers.

I'm supposed to watch him for a week, see if he is eating better and doesn't appear to be in pain. Basically we are at a standstill. Also, my vet didn't charge an exam nor did she even mention using sedation, and she even gave Cheshire a bit of her banana she'd been eating lol. A peace offering.

The picture is of my pointer finger and one of his top teeth. The bottom tooth that wasn't broken was longer than this but they lost it while clipping. It was long enough to be growing backwards into the roof of his mouth. =(

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts