Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I think most of us would agree that Harlan Teklad is THE BEST food you can buy for your ratties but there are rattie moms and dads that may need an alternative, so I thought it would be helpful if we could compile a list of the Top 3-5 brands of food to feed our ratties! The information is spread all around the forums but I like lists. They are succinct thus making information easier to read and process.

Instructions: List what you think are the top 3-5 brands. Number the brands in descending order if you have one, otherwise omit the numbers. List why you think it is a top brand, via the pros. consequently, list any cons (nutrition is most important; however, factors such as price and accessability should be considered). Also list any sources of purchace you are aware of (online, snail mail, phone, store etc.) to buy these brands.

I am not an expert but I'll try to offer what information I've picked up

Name: Harlan Teklad
Pros: Harlan Teklad is the top brand that is specifically made for rats. It has the best overall nutrition for your rats.
Cons: It is not sold in most pet stores, and it has a shelf life of approx. 6 months if frozen.
Purchase Information: you can buy it directly from teklad.com with a min purchace of 100$. You can buy it in smaller portions at Kim's Ark, theratshop.com, ratzrealm.com, or craftyrat.com

Name: Nutro Natural Choice Lite
Pros: It contains similar nutritional values to H. Teklad, and it is easily found in chain pet stores.
Cons: it is made for dogs rather than rats. It must be fed with a grain mix, which is an additional expense but the ratties love it ;)
Purchase Information: it is found in pet stores such as Petco and Petsmart

Name: Mazuri
Pros: actually made for rodents
Cons: the protein % is a bit higher than the recommended %
Purchase Information: found at pet store chains.

ok so this is what I've picked up from the forums, and a few other internet sources. I would love to see what other people think, and hopefully we can get enough information to make a more permanent list. Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Another con to Nutro is that it should also be fed with a grain mixture (such as Suebee's) to ensure proper vitamin intake.

HT is also available in small portions from other online stores (the Rat Shop, the Crafty Rat, etc.)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Oh, I know, my ratties love it, but it is an extra step that's not needed with other foods (not to say you cannot give it with other foods... :lol: Since they love the crunchy bits so...)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There are other premium dog foods that are as good as, or better in some ways then Nutro. :) Nutro contains a few ingredients that some owners aren't so keen on (poultry fat and lots of chemicals).

Some choices are Innova, Evo, Merrick, Wellness, Canidae, Solid Gold, Karma, Natural Balance and others... Some of which are organic. Light or senior varieties, with the lower protein.

But yes, dog food shouldn't be fed on it's own, no dog food is complete for rats and needs to be fed with a mix or some supplemental food. :) Mixing a few of the better brands together in a mix is also something some owners do to get a well-rounded mix (we've started doing that).

There's also Oxbow Regal Rat, might want to include that. Though some rats eventually stop eating it, so mixing it in a grain mix is an option, at the very least, one must watch for weight loss in their rats. It is as complete as lab blocks.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Personally, aside from Nutro I've heard of Innova, Wellness, and Natural Balance most. But I would think all of them would occupy the same place on the list: 'dog food'.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:) now we're gettin somewhere.

Ok so forget about dog food for a second.

we've got H. Teklad and Mazuri. Are they ANY other GOOD products that are actually made for rodents or rats? Any other ones I can think of are total garbage!

·
Registered
489 Posts
LM is crap. Kaytee is well known to be the worst.

With dog foods, Please, each time you buy a bag, check ingredients. Nutro was bought out by a bigger brand which may mean a formula change(for hte worst) soon.
Same with Wellness, it was bought out and that ussually means a formula change.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
who were those brands bought out by?

about the formula change that's good information. I'll keep an eye on it if I purchase another bag. I think i'm actually going to purchase Harlan Teklad from Kim's Ark next. I'm waiting to see how long it'll take my wodent wheel to get here, so I can have a better idea of how long it'll take the food to arrive.

I would still really like to compile a good list of different options that will be accessible to a wide range of the members on the board. Plus it would be nice to have a lump of information, so we can copy and paste if a new member asks about food!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yes, info on the buy-outs, please. We feed Wellness to all of our animals and I hadn't heard anything. All I can find online is about a supposed buyout last year, someone said they were going to add corn... They've not done that. So info would be great... I assume you mean Old Mother Hubbard was bought-out. The website includes info on when they've changed hands (corporate history on the Wellness site, states they haven't been bought-out since 1961), but maybe it hasn't been updated (nothing under their press releases/media, either)...

I think this is a good idea, Mopy, it'd be a good resource for new owners and those looking for new options as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
chrisstrikeagain said:
Same with Wellness, it was bought out and that ussually means a formula change.
****, that's not something I'm happy to hear. I feed Wellness to my dog, believing it to be among the best brands. Now they've been bought out? I'm constantly having to worry about what I'm feeding my dog. This is ridiculous. They really should print on the bag "NEW OWNER, FORMULA CHANGE". Each time I update my dog to a better brand, I make sure to read the ingredients of the potential new food before I buy it. I'd hate to have to read it EVERY time I go to buy more food :roll:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a shame that this is something we as pet owners have to worry about. I'm sure they have to print somewhere on the bag that there has been a change but there is probably no size specification.

I think this is a good idea, Mopy, it'd be a good resource for new owners and those looking for new options as well.
thank you :) I really just want to gather some solid information in one place.

I might just keep editing the list at the top if that's ok with the mod's :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
ill find out as soon as I can about nutro and wellness(prob by the weekennd.

there was a bag of nutro with the price printed on the bag and A flat shape to it from petco. at my store, same kind of food had the price printed a dollar more and was round shaped. exp. dates were a month difference so I have my suspicions about nutro and am goin to investigate this and the buyout.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hey Mopy, I wanted to let you know that I used the information you compiled here in my sticky on rat diet. It's all very solid information which I was just about to look up on my own before you posted it.

I hope you don't mind! I linked back to this post in there too.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no not at all :) The point is providing a place for people to read good information on rat diets. A lot of great information is on the forums but it's harder to access because it's so spread out.

so anyhoo use away, and I'll let you know if I discover any additional information. I want to call H. Teklad and ask a few questions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts