Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those "Stupid questions" coming, but what IS the average life span of a pet rat??? Moo turned 3 two months ago, and he STILL looks young AND chipper! I thought that a lot of internet sites, books, and encyclopedias all agreed with the "2-3 years?" With how chipper he still is, how do you know when the day comes? Would they end up in pain? Is it not normal to see tumors grown by then (Moo doesn't seem to have any, and I've seen pet rats get tumors before, but not in my house, as Moo is our first and oldest rat. The rest have a ways to go, yet...)? If one can live this long, is it possible that his diet could be one of the many results, allowing the rest to live that long? I wish to have owner's experience to help me with my true question: How long is the average life span of a pet rat (Fancy rats, for those who like the technical term...)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
some rats will show no signs of illness and just pass (this happened to a rat that was just over two with me). others will get sick and die of the illness. on average 2-3 years is the expected life span (with males typically living longer then females-i think it is due to the higher risk of tumors in females shortening their life) but that is only an average and having older rats or rats that die younger then that is not unheard of either. i don't know what the record is for the life span of a rat but i've seen one make it for 5 years. with any luck moo will get that old too. here's hoping.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
My oldest was Sebastian and I had him pts at 38 months but jorats just had a girl live to 45 months old (she was spayed). She just passed this weekend after almost making it to 4 years old!! Average is 26 months usually, 3 is considered a fantastic age so congrats on your boy!! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts