Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. So my rat, Sparrow, is really old. 2 and a half. I've got four rats now. 2 five months old. And one 3 month. Well I got Orville at 2 months a month ago. Kept him in his own cage until last week. He's a real sweet boy. And my other two boys have no problem with him. But my old mam Sparrow has been trying to be dominant over him as he can't be dominant over my other boys. Today, Orville really put him in his place and tore his ear clean in half. Its a bloody mess. But he doesn't seem in pain or anything. And Orville is smaller than him. Why couldn't he defend himself? I'm all the years of having rats this has never happened to me. What should I do? My old man isy heart rat, my special boy. And he's so old and has congestive heart failure I don't want him to die any earlier than he already will. Please give me advice...

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If hes not bothered by it I wouldnt worry too much, rats ears have very few pain receptors in them. Just give it a clean up and maybe put a bit of antisceptic on it and leave it to heal. If it gets very swollen or looks infected then i'd pop him along to the vet but otherwise its fine. As to how he didnt defend himself it was probably over very quickly. Most rats dont mean to cause damage, they just respond and if they catch something unprotected or weak it gets damaged worse than they intended.

I would keep up with the intro, what style are you using? I prefer carrier method with boys in particular as it tends to cut down on injurys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been cleaning it. And it looks a lot better today. And he doesn't act like it bothers him unless I touch it.

Well i usually let them all run around on my bed or couch. And they didn't have any problems. Never. So I moved Orville to the cage to spend time in there with them and that went over good as well. I've got lots of toys and hammocks in there so the the baby (Orville) had a lot of fun. But last night was his first over nighter in the cage with them and him and my oldest had the altercation with Sparrows ear getting torn. And now they just keep being stand offish with each other.

My other two boys are perfectly fine with him though..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts