Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So... I'm totally new to rats, I have a rabbit, I've had a family of 5 degus, I've had cats, dogs, and birds... but I just recently adopted an abandoned rat that was found in the street. The lucky girl was so sweet and cute she was actually able to beg for food around a bar. She was picked up and brought back to health and then later gave birth to 3 healthy babies.

Unfortunately the mom died just a few weeks after I got her... I have no idea how old she was or if she may have gotten an infection from being outside... She did have a large part of her tail chopped off, a toe missing and a gash on her cheek, but she was cuddly and very caring for her young.

Thankfully the babies are now 4 weeks and a half and are growing very fast, they are weaned and have been handled all their life so they just love cuddles. I've already found loving homes for 2 of them, and will be keeping one.

I'm here so I can seek advice, this being my first rat and me being a crazy person who spoils her animals a lot, I wanna know how to spoil them in a non hurtful way, and I wanna make sure I do good with my first rat. YAY!

·
Registered
672 Posts
First of all, thank you for saving mama rat and caring for her and her babies. However, you should keep all three or two of the same sex and find home for single rat with people with other rats. Rats are very social beings and don't do well alone for the most part. Do u know what sexes they are? they are close to being sexual mature so you Would need to separate soon.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Welcome to the forum btw, there is a on of really useful information in the forum section, open each topic and read the sticky sections.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, 2 boys and a girl... I can't afford 2 rats at the moment, but it's slowly getting a bit better financially, so for now I'll keep him, give him a TON of attention, and see how it goes. It's my first rat but definitely not my first animal and I do believe I'll be able to tell if he's doing ok or if he needs a friend. If that's the case I'll find him one in a refuge or something :)

Right now I just wanna make sure I can afford care if something happens...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure your rattie won't show that it wants a friend, Rats just need a friend. I've heard so many people saying that they had one rat and he or she was aaalways out of the cage and got loads of attention. But no matter how many attention a human can give to a Rat, you can never be a Rats best friend. I hope you will either rehome all of them, or keep a pair, I'm all for owning atleast 3 though, if anything were to happen to one of the Rats it's not going to be alone.

·
Registered
672 Posts
While I agree with YTCrazyRatLady. However, I also want to applaud you with trying to be responsible financially if something happened to it, you are in a place to be able to pay for it. However, please ,in the near future , try to get him/her a friend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts