Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i got my rats last wednesday (24th oct now 27th) and my rats seem to be TERRIFIED when i put my hand in the cage, they will stand in the corner and freeze up. but when there out f the cage there happy running around, bruxing, going in and out or my jumper etc. and i was talking to my dad (who is becomeing growingly attached to the rats) and he thinks its because they feel exposed bwcause i use towles and the above ground levels (were they spend most of their time). so i out some of the hay wich i use as extra bedding in there "house" and on parts of the ground floor.

do you think that my dad was right?or are they still getting used to thier new home and me?

thnx for any help!

simba kitten

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Hay isn't good to use with rats. If they eat it, they can't digest it, when they pee on it it can get moldy, plus it has a strong smell that could hurt their sensitive respiratory systems.

If they have places to hide (igloos, boxes, etc), they'll feel comfortable in their cage. Rats don't burrow like some small animals, so they don't need loose types of bedding (gerbils and mice for instance will dig little burrows and tunnels, so they can't be kept on fabric like rats can).

They will get used to you. When you put your hand in their cage, just leave it there. Don't reach for them, don't move it, just let it sit. Eventually they'll unfreeze and become interested in your hand. They'll sniff and maybe nibble a bit and then crawl on you. I take my hand out after they lose interest. Since I haven't grabbed them or done anything, they have no reason to fear my hand. Keep doing this with them to get them used to your hand.

Also, they are just getting used to you and their new environment. Some rats are comfortable right away, and some take time, days or even weeks (or months, in the case of one of my girls). Just be patient ^_^

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, but in the case of hay i have to say that i was talking to a former fancy rat breeder and he was the one who told me to put it in there in the first place

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hay is not good bedding, what rat breeder? I thought you got your rats from a department store? Hay molds easily, smells strongly, isn't digestible and can't be comfortable, not to mention the bugs/mold/fungus that could be in it if your buying by the bale from a farmer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok ok il stor using hay. i personally didnt hear him say that he was a rat breeder (a man who worked at harrods) but my dad INSISTED that he was and that hay was good for them...even after i told him what peple on the forum said. but ya il stor using it

·
Registered
549 Posts
simbakitten you need to learn to keep your stories straight. First you talked to a fancy rat breeder who you defended, then you say you didn't but your dad did even though you disagreed. Make up you mind, or just tell the truth, its much easier to keep it straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts