Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i've seen those balls that you can put small pets in and let them roam around in, and thats the only thing that my grandmother would let her have free roam of the house in.

But are those dangerous?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I wouldn't recommend those- they have very poor ventilation. Plus, rats already have very bad eyesight... being in a ball like that makes them pretty much blind. I tried a ball with two of my girls, and it freaked them out pretty bad... they wouldn't move or anything- all they really did in there was peed.

You could let them have free-roam over your bed or couch... that's what I did with my girls until I really trusted them to have free roam of my entire bedroom.

If that isn't enough space, I would recommend either rat-proofing an area of your house (like a walk in closet, bedroom, or hallway that can be covered off easily). If that isn't a possibility, then you can always use the bathroom- just make sure to take anything that you don't want them to get into off of the floor first!

·
Registered
43 Posts
madeittothemoon's got it covered. Chances are if you try one of those balls all your rattie will do is look at you like you've lost your mind. I got one for free a couple years ago and tried it out for kicks. Very uneventful lol

·
Registered
549 Posts
if you already have one you can leave the 'cap' off and use it as a bed for your ratties :)

other than that youd be better off not buying one

·
Registered
155 Posts
someone or a website told me that the spaces are big enough for their tails to fit through. my rats would not allow me to put them in one so i let them run around.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Rats are too smart for them anyway. Beyond that, they're not worth the expensive, for reasons already mentioned. But if you already have one, they do make great hanging nests. Keep the top off, and hang 'em up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i put a small version in the cage and yesterday when pookie was making the whole where the lid goes bigger it sounded like she was choking so i took everything plastic out of the cage. now i am sad because i don't have many toys in the cage just two hammocks and a circle thingy i mad out of cloth that they can climb on :(

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice, I do imagine they would be scared. I saw a glow in the dark one and thought, that would be horrible, especially if you used it for it's purpose, in the dark.

I do let her roam the bathroom, but theres 25,000 other places I'd rather hang out.

I think I might by one of those play pins, I've considered them before.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have gotten my rats those and only 1 out of 6 have liked and have decided not to let my two net girls try in case they should go down the stairs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts