Rat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took an old shoe box, and cut an entrance hole in it, and stuffed it with tissue paper and treats, and put it in my cage. They went bonkers pulling the tissue paper out of the hole, and scarfing down the treats. Now some are sleeping in the box, others are still shredding the paper and stashing it in their hides!

·
Registered
305 Posts
@Twistedrattery
I bought a dog toy just like that with the rope already attached, my boys did not like it very much but yours very well may :)

As for toys i do, I get a bag of in shell nuts from the store and toss them a few, they thoroughly enjoy prying open the nuts and digging out the good stuff.
Also, my family eats a lot of corn on the cob, so once everyone has eaten what they want off the cob, i am still left with the fleshy stuff that attaches the nibblets to the cob, so i drill a hole through the sid of the cob and string it up in their cage, its kinda like a variation of a pinata, my boys adore it :rolleyes: hope this helps

·
Registered
357 Posts
Treat pinatas are easy, inexpensive, and fast to made...they're always a hit with my ratties!

Just take a cardboard tube (like the kind you would find on toilet paper), fold one side in so that two points are sticking up, then fold those inward so it creates a "bottom" (a hole at the bottom is acceptable, but adjust it as needed so that the treats do not fall out.

Drop some favorite treats into the open end and fold it as above - leave the pointed ends out for right now.

Use a pen (or something similar that is small and pointy so it makes a hole small enough for string without damaging the toy) to punch two holes at the base of the top's more pointy folds.

Thread a piece of strong string, thread, or elastic "string" (idk what it's called exactly) through the holes and tie it through one time once you fold the pointed ends down like you did above with the bottom (like you would when first starting to tie your shoe), and tighten it.

Tie to a side bar or hang from the top of your rat's cage, double or triple knotting to ensure it's security and making it more difficult to chew through.

Cut any excess string, and let your rats enjoy! ;D

·
Registered
41 Posts
When its Warm Enough I always take My boys out to play in the garden Baylie Really enjoys Claiming our small apple & blossom Tree and playing on the lawn With jasper . I never leave him unattended but he Dose Really enjoy his time out doors .
WP_000593.jpg WP_000592.jpg WP_000582.jpg
also i have just began giving him Live Meal I'e grubs From the local Pet shop at first i was worried he'd not take to them but they Went down a treat
http://youtu.be/Cy97cPzyxzw

I also Fill a treat ball up with Well treats And he Really enjoys it

http://youtu.be/DLAsAuEr_L4

and on the odd occasion he gets a boiled Egg

he Also has Cuddles When He is chilled out
http://youtu.be/jtEwqlVbg2A

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually cut a U in a butter tub and attached it to the bottomom of a wire shelf for a nice loungeAnd suz sugar gliders has some great no sew toys/shelfs/ledges and so on

·
Registered
200 Posts
I haven't got rats yet, but here some idea for toys

Straw weaving
rat idea,sstraw weaving.JPG IMAG0148.jpg
-get 2 or more straws
-put punch hole in it
-put string through
-tie them at the bottom
-weave string through straws
-once it fills up the straws push down,repeat until string is filled

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ferret online shops have great things

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ferret.com If you live in Canada or us

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just made some treat sticks/ foragers up for my new boys, coming home on friday. I also made some flavoured paper and sticks for them.

Forager/Treat Stick- to promote exercise, curiosity and cuteness.
I used a litle marking flag pole, but any wire will do. Than I cut a small circle of cardboard and poked the wire through. Nex I twisted the end throught the cardboard into a loop to stop it from falling off. I put cheerios, Shreddies, papertowel and home made flavoured sticks and paper (more on thist later) onto to wire and then bent the top into a hook and hung it up in the cage.

Flavoured Paper/Sticks- to promote having fun tearing things up. Oh, and healthy teeth.

First i put out a baking rack, baking pan and some bowls. I filled the bowls with asorted fruit juices (no citrices). I grabbed a few tissues and some paper towels, as well as some fresh clean sticks, and soaked them in juice. Then after an hour or so i tooke them out and lay them on the baking rack, sperading out the paper towels and kileenex(rips are okay) then the sticks. I then baked them at 100*c for an hour. then, presto! rattie delights. for shredding, eating, chewing,ect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Take a white sheet of paper and a toilet paper roll, roll the roll in the paper and twist one end closed...fill with good yummy treats and twist that end closed also.

U can throw in the cage, or tie with a string to the top of the cage!

·
Registered
413 Posts
What I would do, is get some fleece/fabrics/old towls or tea towls basically anything that rats cannot get caught in and then tear their nails, so anything woollen avoid.With the material (whatever you choose) get some clips and find a way to attach the clips to the material and then onto the cage on a corner at the bottom of the cage, and then leave the bottom of the material to drape over a corner of the cage and your ratties can have fun exploring :) sorry I couldn't help you with the clip attaching but as I have yet to try this out, I haven't thought of a method to do so, sorry :(A fun alternative to hammocks is hanging baskets, just find a garden centre or some place where they sell them, for me it is a garden centre. Buy a new unused one, that they are selling for you to supposedly plant stuff in.Then fill with some bedding or a fleece or whatever you use, and then hang from the cage, the ones I've seen already have metel clips attached so it hangs naturally, or you could use the hanging basket for a herb farm, rats love that, you let them eat away at the herbs, just fill with soil and also you could put some germinated seeds in, i think this was someone elses idea up the top but, if you cannot find anthing plant pots then a hanging basket can be used. Hope that this is useful to someone :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
fill a cardboard egg box with hay/bedding and treats and then close it shut again, rats will spend hours trying to gnaw open the box to investigate nd its good for their teeth too!
I actually just made a tutorial on this lol.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I buy chinese finger traps and popsicle sticks from oriental trading. I dye them in unsweetened koolaid and string them together with unstained beads (or beads soaked in koolaid) and hang them all around the cage. I also make pinatas by slightly blowing up a balloon and covering it with paper mache. Then I fill it with different goodies and toys and some paper...and hang from the cage.

They love things that have beads on the end, to pull on. :)

21 - 40 of 129 Posts