Rat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
(ONLY FOR FEMALE RATS)
You can put a whole satsuma or similar small orange in your rat's cage. They have fun tearing into the skin and ripping it off to get into the juicy, sweet flesh. There was also a study that showed that there was a reduced chance of cancer in rats that ate satsumas that was posted here maybe a week ago. It's fun to watch your rats battle it out to try to pull the orange around and get it out of the grip of the other. Fun for you, and also fun, tasty, and nutritious for your rats!

NEVER EVER EVER FEED ORANGES TO MALE RATS BECAUSE A CHEMICAL (D-LIMONENE) IN IT WILL GIVE THEM KIDNEY CANCER. It's perfectly safe for female rats, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At my local dollar tree they have Halloween stuff out. I was looking around and found a "spider web bowl". It makes a great hammock for the little ratties! I took some binder rings and hooked it into my rats cage and put some soft Halloween themed fleece in it and they absolutely love it ! It was defiantly a hit ! They also come in two halloweenish colors! rattie1.jpg ratties2.jpg

Here is the link !:
http://www.dollartree.com/party-supplies/decorations/Plastic-Spider-Web-Shaped-Halloween-Treat-Bowls/574c586c586p341628/index.pro?method=search

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also, I made a sock pinata kind of. Big paper towel tube closed off on an end and put in a too-tight for me sock. Couple treats and tied to the cage. Boscos been at it for at least 15 minutes and hasn't gotten a thing out :p which is unusual for him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I make hanging tunnels that go around their entire cage by taking old pringles cans and cutting off the other (closed) side and hanging them with shower curtain hooks. Also taking a tissue box that has the tissues in it and putting it in the cage, they will sleep in it take the tissues for bedding and just go nuts. I also make treat sticks by taking branches from outside soaking them in water to clean them letting them dry soak them in sugar free juice (over night) then roll it in a honey and or peanut butter base then roll it in a snack mix and hang it from the cage, they go nuts for it and its good for their teeth.

·
Registered
273 Posts
This thread is a wealth of fun stuff, my future rats will NEVER be bored!! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, and I can't remember what site I read it on, but it seems like a good idea to me :)

Bean bags:
Take some jeans material (I'll probably use felt) and make a square pocket. Filly the pocket with dried rice and sew it shut. Dried rice keeps it's temperature really well, so you can put it in the freezer during summer and keep them nice and cool, or pop it in the microwave for just a bit (careful not to keep it in for too long) during the winter to keep them warm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So far I've tried the pinata, the fabric braided rope and the peas in a bowl of water. My rats all reacted the same, they checked it out as I put them in the cage, they sniffed it a bit and then they moved away. My babies are so lazy and uncreative, haha. Hopefully they'll show some interest soon. Going to attempt some hammocks with fleece fabric and maybe some rice beanbags.

Such awesome ideas, thank you!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm not too sure if it's been posted but I thought it was such a good idea I'd post it here

My local pet store's owner and I were talking about rats. He said he gives his girls one of those travel-sized boxes of cereal. He just tosses the whole box inside. He says the rats had a BLAST chewing through the cardboard to reach the delicious cereal inside.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
This may have been asked before, but one of my rats walked out of his cage and dragged my plastic soda cap back in and gnawed on it. I took it away, but I was wondering if it wis safe for them to eat it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
My Token is a cage chewer and it drives me crazy. I found that draping some old wool scarves over the top at night keeps her busy trying to pull them in. She can work on one scarf for hours!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm, I haven't tried this but I could imagine that it works for hot summer days. So basically you just cut frukts and veggies into little pieces. Than you take a small container ( a cup or something ) feel it up with water, add the fruits and veggies and than put it in the freezer. So in the end you have ice cubes with fruits and veggies in them :D

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I made fruit "ice cream" cubes for mine. I took strawberries, grapes, bananas, cantaloup and apples and mashed them all together in my mortar and pestle and put them in a ice cube tray. They get a cube or two when it's hot out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I you drink tassimo coffees the boxes of cartridges are the best for rats to sleep in. Its like a crib for them

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an idea I have been waiting to try out. It is pretty much another piñata, but instead of using toilet paper rolls, use the small boxes that come with travel sized products, like toothpaste. Travel or sample sized. They are normally 3-4 inches long and maybe an inch wide/tall for the toothpaste ones.

Pop tart boxes work great, too.

I guess the only question is: would the ink on the little boxes harm the rats?

For my three, I thrift a lot for them. Around Easter time, you can sometimes find plush little animal-themed baskets. If you take the handles off, you now have a soft, warm cuddle cup. They also get cotton scarves to tear up and nest in, once in a while. Wine racks are also something that is easily thrifted, and the rats love to climb up and weave through the holes. I have also been able to find wooden puzzles and building blocks.

With the building blocks, I take the flat, rectangular ones and slightly wedge them in the cage grate (corners work best), and they act as both a chewing spot and a platform for treats for them to hunt down.

One tip I have is to check out the toy section in your stores. My Dollar Tree had small toys attached to a white plastic chain. Well, one of the chains was bare, so I took it up to the register and asked the manager if I could buy it; he said keep it.

Last one!!! My rats seem to love packaging paper ... The kind you find in shoe boxes or what your glass wares get wrapped up in before you leave the store. I crumple a big piece up into a ball and put it in their cage. They will team up to unravel the ball, then tunnel under the paper or shred some for nesting.

...whew. I think that's all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
213 Posts
My rats like it when I put a tissue box filled with shredded tissue in their cage. Thy love thoroughly destroying the box and nesting in the ripped up tissues. However, if your rats are in your room I wouldn't suggest this toy, unless you don't mind the sound of cardboard being ripped to pieces by happy rats. :)

61 - 80 of 116 Posts