Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically im on a small budget for my rats (its only me paying for it, mother and father have no hand in the money to help me :( ) Basically I would like to know any cool and easy ideas to have toys and entertaining objects for my new rats that will be coming home on thursday.

Ive already seen ideas for hammocks which are amazing and I plan on using some of those. But first off I would like to know what I can put into the cage for them to chew on? Ive found of chew sticks that are for hamsters and guinea pigs, are those ok? I believe there are blocks too.

Also is it a good idea to put stuffed animals in with rats to keep them occupied? I understand that some material can be harmful but id like to know if there is, which ones arent harmful.

Are hamster/guinea pig toys ok for rats to play with?

Does anyone have any "homemade" toys they would like to share?

I noticed that the rats I am getting love to climb. What are some good ideas in order to have something for them to climb up/on. What are good materials?

What is the best objects use to make an area for them to nest? I found this upside down coconut thing at walmart thats used for fish but the hole is pretty much big enough for a rat to get through. Is that ok? Any other ideas?

What are good materials to put in a cage for them to use as nesting??

Sorry if I repeated all ready answer questions...

Thanx :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Are hamster/guinea pig toys ok for rats to play with?
my rats don't really care about toys they basically love just to run around. I am usually on the floor with them.
Does anyone have any "homemade" toys they would like to share? I think there was a topic somewhere around here about homemade toys--- or I think I have a link somewhere http://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm Thats one I just found. Basically just look on the internet they have tons of sites on toys for rats-- just search for toys for rats

I noticed that the rats I am getting love to climb. What are some good ideas in order to have something for them to climb up/on. What are good materials? My girls love to climb on the cage--- and also I have a rope that I got from somewhere and they love climbing that too.

What is the best objects use to make an area for them to nest? I found this upside down coconut thing at walmart thats used for fish but the hole is pretty much big enough for a rat to get through. Is that ok? Any other ideas?

What are good materials to put in a cage for them to use as nesting? I use fleece or soft flannel--- but my rats love fleece.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dapper rat is a great website for neat little homemade toys. Like I made a little hideout with a ballon and toilet paper. I wrapped the toilet paper aroud the balloon for as big and thick as I wanted it and then sprayed it with water. It took about a week to dry but my little babies loved it. Of course it only lasted about a week, but they used the chewed up toilet paper as nesting. another cool thing is you know pringle cans? cut the bottom out of it, punch a hole on the top and one on the bottom and use shower curtain rings to hand it on your cage. you can get them at the dollar store. you can use ribbon but they chew through that easily and it takes a lot longer for them to chew through shower rings. below is some pictures of my cage to give you some ideas. I also use bird toys. like perches(they love those), ladders and hanging things. ferret toys are cool too:) hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions I'll be happy to help you. I recently got into rats again and I'm going crazy with toys and stuff, there isn't any room left for any more toys,lol. I just lined the wire shelves with cuddly fleece so it'll feel good on their little feeties...

·
Registered
722 Posts
You can get little jingly cat balls (I think they're called lattice balls?) for about 50 cents. And toliet paper rolls are always a fun toy- you can even leave a little bit of toliet paper on it, and make it REALLY fun. As far as little huts go, you can use kleenex boxes (or anything that's around that size). Granted, they won't last long, but they're still a good temporary fix. As far as climbing toys go, the bars in your cage should be okay for that purpose. If your rats are in an aquarium, however, you might have to add ladders or something.

·
Registered
323 Posts
DUDE!!! Rats love to just hang out with you and run around, My rat loves too run around and go up on my shoulder, but he gave me ringworms wich rally stinks. But, anyways rats love boxes, brown peper bags because thay love crawling in and out of them, and they love toilet paper rolls. Good luck with your ratty friend! :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
i give my ratties chicken bones....cooked of course....like when i'm done with a wing...sometimes i leave a little meat on it.. hours of entertainment!!! plus a good chew...i would only leave it in for a week though....after that i think it would be kinda grody

or

Dough nut holes in the box.....for like 1.50.....i eats the goodies.....the pull of the plastic, they love to lick the box and it looks cute when they sleep in it

or

just nuts in the shell.....or hard boiled eggs...

or

wooden block letters

or

i like to put some treats in crumpled paper, i put it in layers...i treat a layer... well they go gaga shredding and finding goodies....

·
Registered
411 Posts
My Scrumph likes to stash stuff behind a cabinet. I've cut up an old sheet, and she likes to play tug of war with me, then run off and stash the piece of cloth. I grab another piece, and repeat...she can do that for quite a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts