Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have new rat babies I’ve had them nearly 2 weeks. And I’m struggling to stop them from biting so I can start stroking and holding. I recently just tried the spoon technique (make an eek when they bite it) and now I’m using soft foods so they’ll learn to lick instead of bite. They only seem to like baby food though and I know they can’t have it often, if I give them treats from my hand they try to bite my fingers, any ideas on what I can do?!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are your rats biting when trying to take the food from your hand (as in they don't know how to take food without biting), or are they doing it out of fright?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One does it with food (the other is gentle when taking food) and they both bite when I let them sniff my hand. I clean my hands to make sure there’s no scent of any food. I’ve tried different soaps as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For food what I've done is (if their real biters you may need gloves) I start with a harder bigger block of food, this way they can't reach your fingers and it's hard enough that they can't pull some away and every time they try to pull the food out I close my fingers over the food, then if they either lick my hand or take the food super gently then I give it to them, eventually you can go down to smaller bits of food. If they are afraid of you or your skin then put a licking treat on your arm and make sure they are coming to you on their own, if they bite while taking food then squeak, take away your hand, and close the cage door, and only come back later when they calm down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts