Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone Here know how I can Teach my Rats to Poop in a box, Come when called, Shoulder Trained, Free Roam my bed without jumping off and running away, and to love me!, and so on?

Eventually I wanna teach them to play Basketball, ill leave that for in the future though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Trainging My Rats

Sorry for double Posting but Does anyone here have Trained Rats?

·
Registered
814 Posts

None of my rats a re litter trained but Nazy comes when he's called so he gets a lot of free roam time. I taught him to come to his name like this:
While he's out say his name and give him a treat, after doing that for a day to two. Call him name while he's in your lap then give him the treat, then if you think he/she is ready place them a little farether away from you. Call his/her name and if they come give them the treat. If not start from sitting in your lap again. Be sure to change up the treats so your rat doesn't get bored.

Here is a vid of Nazy coming to his name, He's A LOT faster now lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxqIFzKgFSI

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

For litter training, try placing a box with litter in their cage in an area where they poo the most. Then place any poos you find outside the box into the box daily. Eventually they should become mostly litter box trained.

Coming to their name is generally best done with food as a reward. My boys will at the least wake up when I click my tongue because they know I do that when I've got treats.

As for shoulder... just put them up there and see what happens. If the run forward, lean forward and they'll run back onto your shoulder, etc. My boys took to it immediately, so no real training was involved.

Many rats will not jump off of high places. They don't see well, so they cannot see what they're jumping into. Of my six boys one will jump any large distance, but even he won't dare to jump off the bed or the table. (Off of me onto the cage, totally different story).

To Love you?

Spend lots and lots and lots of time with them. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts

Yeah, my rats have started using the litter box pretty much by virtue of it being there and the fact that every time I walk by the cage I open it up and move all their little raisins. They even pee in there. Also, every time I bring them out to play I make sure to bring the litter tray with them. They've taken to it rather quickly.

The shoulder thing is something else they took to naturally. Whenever they're on my arms and I start to walk, they immediately move to my shoulder. I can't really take any credit for creating this behavior... but I will anyway. :D

And coming when called... I use their names whenever they are running towards me, and usually give them treats when they make it. They can, for the most part, tell who I'm calling, but they both tend to come anyway when I call to them... very cute.

I'm actually pretty surprised at how quickly rats learn things. I knew they were smart, but wow. Good luck with your ratty training.

·
Registered
56 Posts

My rat comes when he's called but didnt really need training. He's very curious. If he's not paying attention I tap or scratch the floor and he'll come see what I'm doing. On the other hand though my other rat wont come to me unless I specifically have rat chocolate!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts