Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm down to my 5 Fellowship boys. They are all so trusting and loving, and I can pick them up, kiss them, whisper their name and let them go as sweet as can be. They are about 3 months now, and have moved to the CN after the big boys left. It took them a day to understand the previous tenants weren't coming back to kick them out, and then they were ready to go to the Rattic for the first time. Into the carrier they all went, then cautiously came out to... hide inside my robe. After about 10 minutes they started to explore. What a big fun new world this is!!! They are loving it every minute :giggle:

My concern is, after the second day, they are already starting to show independence, and a couple are jumping, puffing and squeaking when I touch them. I know it's all very exciting for them, and they are on edge but I don't want to lose ground with them being so friendly with me. Gilly and Merry are content to stay inside my robe with me and get loving, whereas Gimli and Samwise are on the prowl, and have taken to play fighting and racing around. Pippin goes back and forth, sometimes wanting to be with me and other times squeaking and puffing if I touch him.

How do I maintain our lovely trusting relationship and still let them grow and explore and become older babies? Any advice on letting them grow up as nature intended without them becoming distrustful and distant with me?

Reactions: Rats4All

·
Registered
577 Posts
Let them be rats, but every once in a while when they puff pet them anyway.

Reactions: Willow&Whiskers

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm down to my 5 Fellowship boys. They are all so trusting and loving, and I can pick them up, kiss them, whisper their name and let them go as sweet as can be. They are about 3 months now, and have moved to the CN after the big boys left. It took them a day to understand the previous tenants weren't coming back to kick them out, and then they were ready to go to the Rattic for the first time. Into the carrier they all went, then cautiously came out to... hide inside my robe. After about 10 minutes they started to explore. What a big fun new world this is!!! They are loving it every minute :giggle:

My concern is, after the second day, they are already starting to show independence, and a couple are jumping, puffing and squeaking when I touch them. I know it's all very exciting for them, and they are on edge but I don't want to lose ground with them being so friendly with me. Gilly and Merry are content to stay inside my robe with me and get loving, whereas Gimli and Samwise are on the prowl, and have taken to play fighting and racing around. Pippin goes back and forth, sometimes wanting to be with me and other times squeaking and puffing if I touch him.

How do I maintain our lovely trusting relationship and still let them grow and explore and become older babies? Any advice on letting them grow up as nature intended without them becoming distrustful and distant with me?

Keep being who they know you to be. I've gone through the same sort of things . . . I find they always come back to "mom". :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm really trying to understand how they grow emotionally. At this age, they are super excited to be running free in playtime, and they're over-stimulated, mostly by each other lol. This morning, at 5:30 (ugh) I took them to play for the 3rd time. They had so much fun, and kept coming back to "mom" to climb in my robe and on my shoulders and head, etc. As long as I don't touch them without warning them first, they were fine. Letting them see my hand helped too. Otherwise they squeaked and jumped. The kids don't like being surprised, especially since the boys like to tackle each other from behind :ROFLMAO: And when it was time to go, I tapped my fingers on the carrier and said "Let's Go Everybody!!" and they ran right in. And then out. And then back in, etc.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm really trying to understand how they grow emotionally. At this age, they are super excited to be running free in playtime, and they're over-stimulated, mostly by each other lol. This morning, at 5:30 (ugh) I took them to play for the 3rd time. They had so much fun, and kept coming back to "mom" to climb in my robe and on my shoulders and head, etc. As long as I don't touch them without warning them first, they were fine. Letting them see my hand helped too. Otherwise they squeaked and jumped. The kids don't like being surprised, especially since the boys like to tackle each other from behind :ROFLMAO: And when it was time to go, I tapped my fingers on the carrier and said "Let's Go Everybody!!" and they ran right in. And then out. And then back in, etc.

If I didn't know better .... I'd say they sound like rats. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:🐭:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hey, I've only had rats for 5 months! I had no idea they would be so intelligent and emotional :giggle:
And flakey.
I'm still surprised at times over how my girls react to something and how differently from each other they react.
Turvy is my flakiest girl ..... she'll be all over me and playing with me for days and them suddenly !!BAM!! she acts like she doesn't know me. I use to get upset and try t figure out what I could possibly have done to cause that. Then I realized I hadn't done anything - she's just a flakey rat. So when it happens, I wait it out. Eventually, she gets over it and is right back to being her normal self. I go through something similar with Susie ... she'll be fine and climbing up my hoodie sleeve (her favorite thing to do) and then, for no apparent reason, she won't even come to the cage door.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And flakey.
I'm still surprised at times over how my girls react to something and how differently from each other they react.
Turvy is my flakiest girl ..... she'll be all over me and playing with me for days and them suddenly !!BAM!! she acts like she doesn't know me. I use to get upset and try t figure out what I could possibly have done to cause that. Then I realized I hadn't done anything - she's just a flakey rat. So when it happens, I wait it out. Eventually, she gets over it and is right back to being her normal self. I go through something similar with Susie ... she'll be fine and climbing up my hoodie sleeve (her favorite thing to do) and then, for no apparent reason, she won't even come to the cage door.
This is good to know, thanks! They can be flakey for sure :sneaky:

Reactions: lfraser06

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I figured out that they need MORE time, MORE holding and touching to keep them coming back. Special treats are working, and just sitting with them for about an hour or more. They all come back to me, one by one, just to check in. I pick them up, kiss kiss and put them on my shoulder so they can slide down my back. I lurv ma babes!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts