Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Just as the title states, I'm thinking about changing foods for my ratties and Syrian hamster. They're on Kaytee Forti-Diet now. I've known that is a "not-so-good" food for them since before I even got my hamster (well, she's my boyfriend's hamster). I bought the Kaytee because one: that's what they were fed in the stores; and two: my place of work doesn't actually carry Oxbow (and my discount comes in handy since I need to save every penny I make since only having a part-time job and owning a house is hard). But upon further research and a whole lot of thinking about this (since I got my hamster), I feel it might be time to switch. My question is though, is it healthy to switch foods for a small animal? I know you can but I'd rather not give my fur babies diarrhea or stomach upset or something worse from switching them and trying to do what's better for them. I know you transition animals gradually but how would I do this being that I would be switching from lab block to pellets? I'm just afraid I'll kill (like they'll get diarrhea, etc...) these guys by switching their food. I'm just worried because the last two times I tried switching foods for an animal (my cat) I and she had terrible experiences with it (yes, she was gradually introduced); so I'm just nervous with my small animals since they're smaller than a cat (haha!). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advanced!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
With any animal a slow switch is best. Mix like 75% of their current food with 25% new food for a week, then 50/50, then 75% new & 25% old. Then all new.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, I know this, as I've stated in my OP... I'm wondering about Oxbow and anyone's experience with ithe and if it's safe to do the switch now. But, thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As long as you keep an eye on them and switch gradually it should be fine. Of course be prepared to take them to the vet if it doesn't, but it will likely be fine.
Oxbow is a pretty good quality food. That's what I feed my ratties too :) It's a bit expensive, but they seem to like it and it's good for them.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yes, I know this, as I've stated in my OP... I'm wondering about Oxbow and anyone's experience with ithe and if it's safe to do the switch now. But, thanks.
eh sorry it seemed as if u were asking about how to switch and if it was safe to switch. Using line breaks in a post helps people read it better I find :)

Switching foods really should not cause any issues. Most rats/small animals get fed whatever in a pet store & are usually switched as soon as they are brought home by their new owners. Honestly all of my rats get switched straight to oxbow as soon as I bring them home & never had any issues.

I feed oxbow myself & it is what I highly recommend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both! I went and bought the Oxbow today (for both my rats and hamster - I bought the correct formulas). My rat, Elsa, who actually quit accepting Kaytee took a pellet right away and started to eat it! I was very excited that she accepted regular food and not just supplemental fruits and vegetables and treats. I hope she keeps eating this food and doesn't turn it away like she started to do with Kaytee.

And it's okay. I tend to ramble when I'm nervous about making a decision for my animals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts