Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Not sure if anyone will have experienced anything like this before, but it'll be good to get opinions anyway.

There is a possibility that I will be moving from The Uk to The US in the not so distant future. I have 4 female rats. 2 are aged about 19 months old and my other 2 are about 10 months and 7 months. If I can sort everything out and I'm allowed to take them with me, what sort of effect do you think it would have on them?

I know rats are prone to stress and I worry that up to 11 hours in a travel case (suitabley sized and food and water etc obviously) will literally kill them.

It would break my heart to have to find them a new home, but I will have to weigh up the possible risks to their lives to take them.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I don't have much experience with this, but I don't see very much harm. Will you be handling the travel cage or someone else? Since the bulk of the travel will be airline travel, that's relatively smooth, normal travel.

But let's see what others say, too. That's mostly just my opinion and I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Well, typically the airline would handle the travel case once handed over I'd guess? I'd buy them a seat if I thought I'd be allowed to take the travel case on board the plane with me.

I'll have to do some research and contact a few airlines.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They usually will not allow rats in the cabin area. Some people have gotten around it by calling them hamsters, but I doubt that'd work.

If you cannot take them in the cabin, the rats go in the back. And hopefully, nothing bad happens on the flight.

I know I'd be an absolute nervous wreck... and I'm sure the ratties would be too.

·
Registered
981 Posts
There are airlines that allow dogs in the cabin? I've never heard of any animal being allowed, with the possible exception of a service animal. But even that I don't see as necessary.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Consider the noise?

Although air travel is fairly smooth going, I doubt the constant noise without any comfort around them can be any good at all.

Have you thought about shipping them? It may take longer, but they could be more relaxed with rules about pets?

·
Registered
418 Posts
cjshrader said:
There are airlines that allow dogs in the cabin? I've never heard of any animal being allowed, with the possible exception of a service animal. But even that I don't see as necessary.
Small dogs and cats (even baby pigs) can go in the cabin on certain airlines if they are kept in a crate. Service animals are absolutly allowed anywhere their human is allowed and are not allowed to be charged more for a seat for their service animal. Service animals are actually considered medical equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts