Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any unusual treats they feed their rats? Or just some frequent treats? Mines getting bored with the same old lettuce and carrots it's time to spice things up a bit!

·
Registered
953 Posts
sky is the limit here on types of fresh, dehydrated and frozen veggie and fruits. Most commonly found here is spinach, romaine, mixed baby lettuces, green beans, tomato, broccoli, artichokes, sweet potato (we only serve that cooked). For fruits our family loves all types of berries, mango and banana as most common here. My girls like veggies far more than fruits. No one is really fond of banana oddly enough. Our conure is opposite-really loves fruit and isn't so fond of veggie.

a little cooked cereal, rice, lentils or pasta. sprouts, bones from dinner (we leave a little meat on the bones sometimes), a little cooked fish, scrambled egg, little bit of soy milk, (though now I have boys so I probably won't give them as much as I allow the girls) plain yogurt or a lil homemade fruit smoothi.

Less often treats- large nuts in shell. I figure it gives them something to do and it has a treat inside. Brazil nuts are my girls and i faves. Coconut in the shell. I scrape out most of the meat because it's probably pretty fattening to eat a ton. But I leave a little for the rats and our conure who each get half a shell. The liquid inside is good too-full of electrolytes and other really healthy minerals and nutrients. Not all of mine like the liquid though.

Very limited treats-pretty much anything we are eating that I don't consider really healthy-ice cream, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, chips, pizza, a sip of my decaf mocha, the almighty fave among my girls Popsicle and any other not really healthy food that we my eat.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Gerber baby puffs, cooked chicken bones, unsalted roasted nuts, boiled egg, home made peanut butter balls, cheerios, broccoli, boiled rice, dried fruit. Everything in moderation is fine as long as it is safe. My rats love bananas, carrots and peas - so baby food is a household favourite.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
IU wouldnt give them lettuce (as in iceburg or light green types) its really not great for them.

Instead why not go for some dark green leafy stuff, kale, cabbage, romaine lettuce, dandilion, theres loads to choose from

Also this time of year you can have a great time foraging for your rats, look for edible berries (if its ok for us to eat raw its fine for them), nuts are also in abundance, mine love beech masts, the odd acorn and sweet chestnuts, not to mention the nuts in there shells sold around this time of the year. They will also enjoy a forage in some clean fallen leaves and it makes for great photos.

I tend to like best treats that do something, so for babies i love high protien treats like kitten and cat treats. I also love natural stuff, so like to get things like dried fish and shrimps. Ans then theres liver buiscuits, a great source of copper and you can bake them yourself.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My girls love red bell pepper and peas, berries of all kinds, cheerios, popcorn (as a VERY rare treat), a bit of cheese, applesauce-- they both go totally nuts for it-- sometimes some yogurt, peanuts for the younger one, and I make honey biscuits for them that they like very much.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dean used to go crazy for some dried pineapple. I love it so I had bought alot of it. He of course being the fat boy he is would head dive into my food or would try to steal it from me. He always came back for more. So I started to break it up and put it in their food once in awhile. They also love love love spinach...they fight over it...yogurt, mixed dark greens, cucumber, frozen peas. Has to be frozen, thawed is ignored lol. I cook my peas with honey and butter to get my husband to eat them. This is Shakespeare's favorit treat but he doesnt get it often.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts