Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and bought a box of these cheese wedges that are made for rats so i could try training my Rocky and i was wondering if any one knows of some good healthy treats i can give him besides the cheese things? I saw a bunch of treats there but nothing that catered to rats.......it was all for hamsters and birds. Is it ok to give him that stuff or are there different dietary needs?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
treats are just that, treats. i use yogies for the most part. they don't need to be great with nutritional value because they are only treats and not part of a main diet. just so long as they are harmful like oranges for males then it really doesn't matter. i had a rat that would go gaga for popcorn. you could get him to do just about anything for a piece. i had another that would not allow you to eat a bowl of fruit loops by yourself. even if he was in the cage while you ate. he used to toss his food dish down the levels of the cage, go get it back to the top while firmly banging each level on the way up and tossing it down again. and it didn't matter how full the dish was either. this was just to get your attention so he could steal some fruit loops. i think he had me better trained then i him actually... anyway, just use what works best. you might find a particular food that he really likes that is healthy as well, apple chunks perhaps, but i wouldn't worry to much about it. just use the food that works best.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i use yogurt drops.... they seem found of them.... :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I use the cheese wedges, yoghurt drops, sesame peanut things (all from Petsmart), as well as fresh treats - our rats will never turn down a slice of banana (not too much, though!) or half a slice of hard boiled egg. Melon, grapes, carrots... all these things are good in moderation. I will try ours with most unprocessed foods, as long as they are not too high in fat, sugar or salt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts