Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Jojo decided he didn't want to take his medicine anymore. He generally likes the medicine it's just a banana flavored baytril. He loooves cheerios though. So what I did was just slip a cheerio around the syringe and while he was trying to get the cheerio I gave him the medicine. Just a trick I wanted to share encase someone else is having the problem too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's a brilliant idea! I'm curious, was Jojo upset with you after you squirted in the medicine? I sometimes don't like to squirt medicine directly into my rat's mouth because it can stress them out when they're already sick. But maybe Jojo didn't mind since he got the cheerio, too? Thanks again for sharing your brilliant idea!

I wrote a blog post on making pet rat medications appetizing. Here it is in case it gives you more ideas, too: Recipes for Success: Making Pet Rat Medications Appetizing

Thanks again for sharing your brilliant idea!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually i just let it dribble in but no he wasn't upset. He paused for a second to swallow the medicine then went back for the cheerio. He isn't exactly sick, he just had mites and along with a shot to prevent mites the doctor prescribe some baytril since it's good for the skin (and respiratory) so I just have to give him that twice a day until it's gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts