Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my boy Dexter has two teeth that grow out of line and I am in awful need of tips to trim it at home! It is both his top right and bottom left incisor that are causing problems, he completely avoids using the bottom tooth since it is pretty crooked. The top one is a normal size, even with his other top tooth - except for a small chunk that he cant seem to wear down himself. I am much more worried about that tooth since it is such a small sliver that is being left out of his normal routine, so it gets fairly sharp. He will not stay still long enough for me to trim more than about 2mm off, and as soon as the clippers gets close enough to his mouth it freaks him out. Ive tried the sock method, wrapping him like a burrito and bribing him with treats when he sits still but to no avail. How on earth do I get a fussy rat to let me clip his teeth? My vet can’t give any sedatives, and I’m really trying to avoid being set back 100$ every 2-3 weeks. I’d really appreciate some ideas or methods that have worked for anyone in a similar situation!

·
Registered
761 Posts
If it were me, I'd ask my vet if I could pay them to teach me to do it. It might be a two person job so I'd bring the person who'd be helping me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts