Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, this is an informative post on what kind of lumps can happen to our ratties.

Let me start by saying Triton is from a group of babies who came to our rescue. My group are 10 months old. One of the brothers, at 6 months old, had a 'mass' on his spleen, and did not survive the surgery. My Triton had a lump develop rather quickly about a week and a half ago. We treated it as an abscess, while waiting for an appointment with the vet. Monday I missed the appointment because my Jeep is crap, so I had to reschedule for today. At 9:00 I went to the vet, and she was in surgery. Because I have so far to drive (1 hour) I asked if she could have a look and let me know if I should stay or come back for him. She came out and said 'most likely a hernia' and she could take care of him today.

After 7 hours of waiting, I got the call to come pick him up. She came out and explained that he had a 'cystic mass that extended into his body cavity and was attached to the abdominal wall'. It was an extensive surgery that was quite invasive. Triton's brother did not survive his surgery, but Triton did. He is doing well, and has stitches on the inside and staples on the outside. He will go back in two weeks to have the staples removed.

Attached are the photos from before and after. He is on pain meds and seems to be doing quite well. We don't know f this is genetic issue or what, but the vet kept the tissue for further analysis.

Attachments

Reactions: TwilxghtRat

·
Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
581 Posts
Yes. I‘m so sorry his brother didn’t make it. 😪 Cloud and Dew wish Triton a full and safe recovery. I hope he’s doing alright! Also, my apologies for the bad handwriting on the image.
Vertebrate Mammal Carnivore Pet supply Rodent

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am so glad he made it through surgery .....fooffs and gentle scritches to him💕🐭 and a big glass of wine for you after the week you’ve had!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
  • Haha

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am so glad he made it through surgery .....fooffs and gentle scritches to him💕🐭 and a big glass of wine for you after the week you’ve had!
Thank you, I gave everyone their breakfast, and had to gently pull him from his hammock to have a good peek at his incision. It looks great, and he doesn't seem to be in pain, no side sucking or puffing or mopey eyes. I put him on my shoulder for a minute and got some eye kisses lol.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. Thanks for the update - we wish Triton a great recovery and hope he is back to his old self soon.
Thank you! I hope this doesn't come back, the vet was quite detailed in removing all of it, but we'll see.

·
Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
581 Posts
I’m always amazed at how strong these little creatures are! It’s great that he’s feeling better already.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He's doing very well in his recovery. Second dose of Metacam. I give it to him straight...no food I've found covers the taste of that stuff. But he's such a lovely rat, Triton is. He took it like a man 💪. Everyone else came out for a treat, butternut squash with butter and brown sugar 😁

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last dose of pain meds this morning, and Triton is doing great! I let everyone back up to the second floor and refreshed the dig box. Triton is eating like a little horse, climbing and running like it never happened. They are so resilient 💪

I weighed him...he went from 545 to 515 grams. That was a big cysty-lumpy-thingy

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Today Triton got his staples out. The vet said "He is a GREAT rat!" That's a huge complement. He's so calm and has so much personality. He's my shoulder monkey, and has been feeling so good since the cyst was removed. More active than ever, so I wonder if this was brewing for some time which caused him to feel sluggish and avoid interaction. Go Triton!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts