Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get my boy on Suebee's rat diet but i can't find Total cereal (or a very good dog food) because i live in Canada in a small town, what is a good substitute for total?

The best dog food i could find was an Ol'roy's brand dog food, it had about 20% protein, 10 or 7 % fat but i can't remember much about it. i will update as i find the facts on it, i guess. if anyone has had experience with the Wal-Mart brand dog food please post your opinion on it.

also, does anyone have exact measurements they use to make it in cups or grams? i've been converting from oz. to g but i have 1/4th of a LARGE cooler with the dry mix and it doesn't seem right. it's alot of dry mix, but boy does it look tasty!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I would just recommend using Harlan Teklad, since you will be ordering that online anyway so it shouldn't matter where you live. I was never able to find a dog food I liked.

As for the measurements, it's really not a big deal if you're a little off. I think my measurements are always all over the place when I make a batch.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Ol' Roy is considered horrid dog kibble for dogs much less your rats. There are brands recommended but you'll never find them at Walmart or your grocery store. brands like Innova Sr, Nutrolite, etc... And therein lies the hitch with Suebee's...finding the right nutritional dog food (fat and protein levels alone are not it).

Are you able to order online? I would order Harlan Teklad myself and save yourself the hassle. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not capable of ordering off the internet, that's why I am looking for a dog food instead. I tried finding Innova and a whole bunch of other brands that were mentioned here such as Wellness and Pure Gold but have come up empty handed, and my local pet stores deems it unnecessary for them to carry dog foods so I can‘t get any from them.

With Ol'roy, i was becoming progressively concerned with it as all the Google searches i did turned up poor ratings and recalls. About how much dog food/lab blocks do typical rats go through in a few month? i am considering just buying 4 or 5 bags of Innova or another brand that was mentioned next time i am able to go into a big city. the only problem is I don’t have reliable transportation to just zip down to the nearest city to pick up food every other month. how much do your rats go through? and is it common to find lab blocks in large pet stores rather then online or rat rescues?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
These are pretty good dog foods: http://angel.pwnd.org/rat/ratfoodchart.html

As for the Total, the reason they picked Total is that it contains nigh on 100 % of all the necessary nutrients with low sugar and sodium. Just try to find something similar.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think Kim's ark accepts checks... I'm not 100% certain on that but I think they do.

How many rats do you have? I bet you can get a small bag of dog food and it will last you several months. I know with lab blocks it is 1lb/rat/month. You would be useing less dog food than that, but you could obtain enough for six months keeping it in a large sealable container using the 1lb/rat/month caculation. I don't know the shelf life when opened but know lab blocks is 6 months so I'm sure kibble would be close to that...

And then when you get down to one months worth you could make a point to go out and buy it again that month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts