Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So since the brown specks in Remy's fur could be lice, maybe I could take him to a vet to check him out? The only problem is, back in the summer, I tried to travel with Remy. I brought him to petsmart and petco. It was a huge mistake. He acted very scared in the car and in the carrier. He was lethargic and laying down, very nervous. Ever since then I am petrified if I ever need to bring him to the vets. I worry that he could have a heart attack or something very ad could happen to him. The day I took him out, I brought his cage with us and a traveling carrier. Do you guys have any advice on how I could calm him down when in the car and traveling?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly he doesn't have a cage mate. When I bought him he was all alone too, and I was always afraid of introducing him to another male rat because I figured they would fight for dominance or something would go wrong. Are there any other ways I could calm him?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could always try putting some of his bedding or something he is familiar with in the carrier. It might comfort him a little. I know he may be scared, but it's best for him to get treated. Or how about you have someone drive you and you can hold him on the way to the vet?

·
Registered
444 Posts
My rats acted like this every time I left the house with them in the carrier, I just kept doing it and now they are fine. I recently did a 5 hour car journey and they were all perfectly relaxed. It's just something they have to get used to! But I agree putting something familiar in the carrier would probably help :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys! Oh wow really?! When I went out with Remy it was for only an hour or less. Are you sure nothing would happen to him though from too much stress? Like a stroke or heart attack?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Put something(s) of his in the carrier with him. Make sure he has a water bottle and some food, maybe his favorite treat. Chew toys so he can focus on something / relieve stress. A hidey house for comfort would help. Also you could put a blanket or fleece over most of the openings (keep some part of the carrier open for air) so it's darker and not so much stimulus coming in.
There's no reason to believe a trip to the vet in a carrier will cause heart attack / stroke. If he had a serious disease like CHF then I might worry more.
It really is terribly sad that he has been alone all his life and never given the chance to have a friend.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put something(s) of his in the carrier with him. Make sure he has a water bottle and some food, maybe his favorite treat. Chew toys so he can focus on something / relieve stress. A hidey house for comfort would help. Also you could put a blanket or fleece over most of the openings (keep some part of the carrier open for air) so it's darker and not so much stimulus coming in.There's no reason to believe a trip to the vet in a carrier will cause heart attack / stroke. If he had a serious disease like CHF then I might worry more.It really is terribly sad that he has been alone all his life and never given the chance to have a friend.
Okay thanks for the advice! I will definitely try it! Last time I took him in his cage, which was a guinea pig cage (I now know how bad it was) and since then I upgraded him to a large super pet ferret cage, so this time I can't take him in his cage. And I know I feel bad but I do take him out to play constantly, many times for a straight hour in one time. I wish he was sold with one of his brothers but he was sold alone, and I was always nervous when it came to putting him with anther rat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts