Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the best trust training tips. I'm not sure if pulling my girls out of the cage and playing with them in a secure room or just letting them warm up to me by handing them treats through the cage? What should I do? I want my girls to not be so scared of me when I open/close the cage doors or stick my hand near them to pet them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
From the Trust Training sticky: http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?39776-Timid-or-Aggressive-Rat-Trust-Training

Step One:

Place your hand in the cage near the rat, and lay it flat on the bottom, with a treat in the center of your palm.

Step Two:

When the rat is comfortable taking the treat from your hand, begin gradually moving it closer to the door of the cage, and eventually, they should get confident enough to come out of the door and even on to your lap to get the treat.

Ant it continues from there, if you click the link.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Pulling them out and putting them in a secure area with you is more like immersion. Trust training starts off with them in the cage, and letting them approach you on their own, without you having to move them yourself. If you want to do trust training, I'd recommend using soft foods more than solids so that the rats have to lick the food off your hand instead of snatching food and quickly running off somewhere to hide and eat. Things like yogurt, flavored oatmeal, mashed banana and creamed corn (gmo free) work pretty well, but you'll have to figure out what treats they actually like :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts