Rat Forum banner

Trying to heal my heart

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ladylady 
#1 ·
last night i had found a little baby rat at work that i felt compelled to bring home. she was in the feeder tank and i just couldn't let that happen. So i boxed her up and had my fiance take her home for me. I told him to leave her in the box and when i got home i would set up her quarantine cage and get her settled in. I was so excited and couldn't wait to get home to set her up and everything. Well, i got out of work and Tj had called me about three times. I called him back thinking that he had wanted me to pick up some food or something. He said he had some bad news for me. It turns out that he had left the little girl on my desk like i had asked and had gone upstairs to help his dad remove a tick from the puppy. He heard howling and ran downstairs thinking that Fernando my chihuahua had hurt himself or something. Fernie had jumped onto the desk from our bed and knocked the box on the floor. He then ripped open the box (it was a sturdy cricket box with mesh in the sides) he pulled her out and killed her. I was so sad! i cried all last night and told him to wait until i got home so i could bury her. So today when i was at work my coworker and i were in the back where the feeders were and i was looking in the cage feeling horrible. When i saw this gorgeous little creamscicle colored girl come out from underneath all the other ones. I couldn't believe it! I scooped her up and boxed her. Brought her home with me and have been snuggling with her since. I decided to name her Peach. I still feel horrible about that other little girl but Peach has helped to heal my heart a little. I decided to name the little girl that i lost Dot so that she had a name.

See less See more
#3 ·
That sounds aweful. I'm sorry you had to deal with that! Poor dog didn't know he was doing wrong, it was a freak act. Not anyone's fault really. I don't know if there is any way to train the dog that rats aren't bad without endangering your liveing rats. I'm glad none of my animals are like that to my rats, none seem interested at all. They only ones I really am weary about being arond them are the ferrets, so I lock all the rats up when it's ferret time.

So sorry for you loss, please dont' feel guilty and just know to always keep an eye on your girls when the chihuhua is in the room and keep him away from your rats.

I'm glad you gave another girl a home. I bet it was that girls best friend.

#4 ·
the strange thing is that Fernie is always in that room, its our bedroom and when im not home i have to keep him in there. What's evern stranger is the fact that i have six other small animals in that room at all times. My two rats, my bird and my three sugar gliders. he usually just watches them or ignores them completely. i can even take out Tabitha and Chloe and play with hem on the bed while he sniffs at them and then runs away and hides. I think it might have been because she smelled different andshe was sooo tiny. It just broke my heart even though i hadnt really gottne a chance to get to know her. Peach is so sweet though. I'm glad that i stumbled upon her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.