Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so you may have read my recent post about the introductions I did yesterday with my new 5 week old girl rosie and my 2 boys that I already had. those went wonderful and she has a great personality and has grown up around tons of rats because she came from a person who bought 2 females who were both pregnant. There were 23 babies that resulted so I'm sure she was housed with plenty of other rats for the past 5 weeks. I am also aware that she was handled on a daily basis and her owner started calling her Rosie already 2 weeks ago so she would be familiar with it when I got her. She was definitely socialized but of course no matter how well she was socialized she is going to have to adjust to having a new mommy. She didn't seem stressed at all in the car on the way. She wasn't fear pooping and was even snacking. So that was great. Observing her I can tell she is very adventurous and hyper, as well as very sweet. She already gave me some kisses yesterday. I was going to do an immersion session with her yesterday and she is so tiny that she hopped right out of my hand and managed to actually climb inside my radiatior. I couldn't believe she could fit in there and i was so afraid she was going to get hurt. I spent an hour trying to get her out of there and finally I managed to catch her. it was traumatizing for both of us though which set us back in immersion. I gave her a break after that to calm down and then spent some time with her later. She's not that afraid to come smell me and climb on me every once and a while but she definitely is afraid of being held. Of course that is completely normal for only being with her for 2 days so far but the problem I'm having is that I want to pick her up and love on her so she gets used to me but when I pick her up she is quickly able to get away from her cuz she's so soft and tiny. What's a good way to get her used to me since she's so little? How do I hold on to her without her getting away from me because I feel like if she is able to just run away 2 seconds later we don't make any progress from it. I never ran into this problem with my boys cuz they were at least twice her size when i got them. She is definitely starting on a friendlier level though which is good. i can tell she is going to be a cuddler but i just want to go about the immersion properly and really can quality out of the time i spend doing immersion.

·
Registered
444 Posts
When you pick her up cup around her body firmly, I was terrified when I got one of my baby boys because he looked like a mouse! I learnt to just be firm with the handling, I was so scared of hurting him but I soon realised he was quite a tough little guy! Girls can be trickier because not only are they tiny and smooth but they are FAST, just cup her tightly close to your body. With the immersion have you got a bath tub you could use? So rat proof your bathroom in case she does manage to escape but take her into the actual bath tub with a few towels, that way its a very small space and if she is as tiny as you've said the she shouldn't be able to jump out yet.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Toss an old blanket over yourself and your little girl and play under the covers... The blanket is fun for inquisitive little girls to explore, it helps them feel safe and it slows them down just enough to be more hands on.

Congrats and best luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I would do the bath tub thing but my roommate is terrified of rats and to be honest she doesn't even know I have my new baby cuz she never comes in my bedroom. I don't want to upset her by hanging out in my bathtub. But i may do that if she is gone sometime in the near future.

Rat daddy- that's a good idea. i will do that. i briefly tried that when i had her on my bed and she seemed to feel safer but she ended up jumping off cuz my bed isn't very high. I think i will try bringing the blanket on the floor with me in her play area.

·
Registered
444 Posts
How about carrying her around in a hoodie...whilst your roommate is out of course! I've found this is a great way to bond, and if she's tiny at the moment you can just tuck her away quickly!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I did stick her in my hoodie yesterday so i could transfer her to her cage and she fit in there nicely. My roommate is actually gone for the weekend now so I am opened up to a world of possibilities tonight :) Also, is her soft fuzzy fur a baby thing that will change over time? She's so much softer than my boys. They are more silky than fuzzy.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Yes, she will more than likely loose that soft baby coat once she starts to molt and gets her adult coat.

·
Registered
680 Posts
That soft coat is nice though right? We have two young boys and two older ones. The young ones are so soft by comparison. :)

I'm going through something similar with our new boy Nibbler. He's really small compared to his cage mate Zeek, who's only a week older. He's also not keen on being held. And trying to force him is tough because he's so small and squirmy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the baby soft coat. i wish she wouldn't lose it. My boys do have nice fur also, just not as fuzzy. They feel great though after their bath every few weeks. Even when I try to hold onto my little girl firmly she is still so squirmy she can get right away from me. This is not the fun stage where they don't exactly like you or trust you aren't going to do something crazy to them! I haven't gotten to sit down and have a long immersion session with her yet though so I know soon enough she won't be wanting to get away from me. I just have to try a few things like the blanket thing or something to get a good hold of her so i can properly immerse her. She has a great personality though and was definitely socialized previously by her caretaker so they have made things much easier for me. She doesn't fear poop or seem overly stressed since she was already exposed to socialization. Since my boys were petstore rats i had a much harder time with socialization. But of course I still need to put in the time with Rosie no matter what kind of relationship she had with her previous owner cuz she won't just automatically love me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts