Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a very small house with limited floor space and will be getting rats in the (hopefully) near future. The most convenient spot for their cage is on the top of a dresser. The dresser is 34 inches wide but only 15 inches deep, and I'd really, really like to get a cage deeper than 14 inches. I'm wanting to get the Martin's R-680 which is 30 inches wide, 18 inches deep and 24 inches high. The width and height work perfectly but the depth is too big for the cage to fit completely on the dresser. Would it be at all safe to put an 18-inch cage on a 15-inch surface? It's not a massive difference but I don't want to risk losing stability and possibly causing harm to my rats.

The dresser is about 2 inches away from the wall because I have a light switch that's just behind it. I tested how much space I need to access the light switch by placing some boxes on the surface and I think the cage can go a little over 1 inch off the back of the dresser, but it will still stick out about 1 1/2 inches off the front of the dresser. Is that a safe amount or would it make everything unstable?

If it's necessary I can add a wooden board in front of the dresser and gain a little more space, but this is a vintage dresser that I really like and would prefer not to modify. If it's what's needed for the rats' safety I absolutely will; I just don't want to attach things to it if it's not needed.

I can upload pictures if that would be helpful.

·
Registered
995 Posts
An inch and a half on either side isnt that much space, I'm sure you'd be okay. I would make sure there is something heavy in the middle of the cage to keep it stable. A brick or rock, that can actually help file their nails too!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
We had a similar space issue and wound up with the super pet small animal cage... there is a place right above the top ramp where rats can chew through the plastic, but we replaced the missing plastic with aluminum flashing... It really isn't optimal but it was about the only cage that fit our space requirement and our rats are pretty much free range most of the time so it's just a place to sleep. The "wavy ramps" are also easier on our seniors.

Basically, it's tall and shallow.... but it's also overpriced... Although I don't think that a small overhang is too bad, trying to get a taller shallower cage isn't a bad idea.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Pet...ts-Small-Animals-Small-Animals/14138909#about

Best luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts