Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a female black hooded, Kane, who was born in June.
I got her a friend, Kuma, a baby girl who was born in November.
After Qt alla that...
I introduced them a few times, in a big neutral cardboard box. The baby was enthralled to see Kane, she even shoved her face into Kane's underside a lot. Maybe she wanted to nurse? Kane just kinda let the baby do whatever. Kane lifted up her legs to step over the baby as the baby was smothering her with nudges and grooming. Kane seemed a bit confused, but relaxed. Seemed like she was saying " hey, this is not my kid.."

I cleaned Kane's cage real good, and let them hang out in the bottom bin part for a while. Then I put it together and put the baby in, then Kane.
I put some Almond extract on them both (I've heard ppl say vanilla, but we have almond.. no idea why).

They get along well... after a bit I filled the bowl and Kane stashed it all in a corner like she always does, and she didn't care when the baby snatched a piece. Actually, she was just checking the baby out a little, and the baby did a little protective hop, giving Kane her back to protect her food lol.
They both squeezed into the little wooden house together one time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now.. they were fine all night, but today Kane has started this tugging thing. The baby was drinking, and Kane just kept tugging at her.. like, pulling her skin. The baby squeaked a little a couple times when the tugs were rougher. The baby was sitting in the wood house, and Kane again was tugging at her. Again, the baby protested some and didn't budge. The baby was sitting in a corner, and Kane was tugging her yet again. I've been worried and broke up this behavior when I saw it by making noises.

I have also heard squeaks and seen Kane over the baby and the baby is on her back, stiff as a board and squeaking. I know that is dominance stuff, but I am afraid of the baby getin hurt. I got scared to death when the baby was so stiff the one time, she looked dead.

The baby shifts from following Kane everywhere, to chilling out near her and grooming Kane to death, to sitting alone in the little wood house. The baby also climbs all over the cage sometimes.. she even is climbing the walls! She gave me a heart attack when she climbed up and over the wheel!

Its weird.. they seem harmonious, but the baby gets hassled and Kane doesn't seem exactly ecstatic.

Anyone have some insight?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Dust has tugged Gohma a couple times exactly the same way. She hasn't done it lately, but the last time she did I think it was out of jealousy, because I was giving Gohma some romaine lettuce.

I think it's simply a dominance thing. It sounds like Kane is just letting the baby know that she's the ruler of the cage, you're her human, and what she says goes. I wouldn't worry unless you see blood.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I think it's dominance, mostly. I saw Sevilla doing this to Lola a couple times when they were freshly introduced, but I haven't seen it happen for weeks. I assume once they figure out what's what, true harmony will prevail.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats kewl ^_^. Ya, they squeezed into the wooden house together and took like an hour or two nap this afternoon. So cute! Kane likes to go in there now, and almost every time she does, the baby gets the drop on her from the top hole lol.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My first two have done that in their first week with me. I agree it's to establish dominance. Unless there's blood, the wrestling is all right, too, although it can look pretty awful. I think they'll be fine pretty soon. For a while, I thought i would have to separate my two, but now they are living so well together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts