Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, For a while my buddy had a a little lump under the skin (that moved around) and it wasn't too big so after constantly checking i kinda left it to the side since it never grew...However I decided to check on it again after a while and when i looked i was shocked.
now there's this grey volcano like hole on the ksin where the lump was and I'm really worried and not sure of what this is.
its hard but i cant tell you much about it because his fur covers most of it.

Can someone shed some light? It'd be great to figure out what it is and if I should be worried or not. I'd take him to the vet right away but in case it's something I could take care of at home i'd wanna do that instead since vets around my area charge 70-100 just to take a quick look at them :/
Anyway, thank you for the help in advance, crossing my fingers its nothing serious :(

also, he's around 26months old and its still active and etc

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
To me that looks like an abscess, if you press on the sides gently does puss come out? If you can then there is a sticky on abscess treatment here in the health forum. If not I would recommend going to the vet.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It kind of looks more like a cyst to me, but I'm just going off of internet pictures. Has it not grown at all or much since you first noticed? I only have one experience with an abscess and it got so big over a matter of days that I had to lance it. Fast growing might not be the case for all abscesses though, so I'm not sure. I think one definite difference is that cysts tend to have more solid consistency whereas abscesses are filled with liquid ranging from runny to a cottage cheese like texture. Since it's open, I'd try to get something out of it and if you can't or if the tissue around it starts dying (you'll be able to smell it), it may be time to buckle down and just take him to the vet.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Have you tried a hot compress on it? Like a clean rag, just run it through some hot water, ring out and make sure it's not too hot to touch. If it's an abscess it will probably start to drain.

My one girl gets them a lot, but it doesn't quite look like whats going on there. They get black where they are going to burst. If it doesn't drain and look good within a few days, I'd bring him to the vets.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I also think it looks like a cyst based on ones I've seen on my rats. But it could be be a partially dried abscess. Either way, home treatment is basically the same, and be sure to carefully clean the inside by squirting saline solution in there. There's a helpful sticky on abscess care and treatment. It looks like your guy might need a few days of warm compresses before that chunky stuff starts to loosen.

We had a senior boy who had a cancerous tumor (was biopsied during his necropsy) that was abscessed. So if it's really smelling bad or green or there still feels like a lump in there that just won't come out, take him to the vet to be safe. Some bad abscesses might also need antibiotic treatment if it's been infected for so long.

But your guys' doesn't look very bad. I'm sure he'll be fine with a home treatment. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thank you so much for all the responses. From what I saw as well after doing a bunch more research (oh god the pcitures i came accross :( )
well, it really looks like a sebasceous cyst to me. I found many treatments for abscesses but not for sebasceous cysts specifically. not sure how they difer from other cysts so does anyone know how to take care of those specifically?

Again, thank you so much for all the help. love this community :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Abscesses and cysts are treated about the same. The only difference I think is that cysts are harder and the pus or debris is firm and can kind of be popped out. Abscesses I believe are a contained infection so the pus and nastiness inside is not good and does need to be cleaned out. If it smells badly and especially if it's green or very yellow, it might need something to help work from the inside out too like antibiotics to help clear it and make sure the infection didn't spread into the rat's system. The pus is a lot squishier and soft. Abscesses I think should be very carefully irrigated to make sure all the gunk gets rinsed out of the pocket to keep from coming back.

Both can be popped like zits (ugh) after they are soaked and the skin is soft loosened up. Warm compresses will help the abscess come to a head (like a zit) so it can be popped.

I found that rubbing a little oil on an opened but hard to pop cyst (like your guy has) helps to keep it soft and the warm compresses end up being more effective and loosen up the debris more quickly so it can be squeezed out. It may pinch and be uncomfortable and he will probably fuss, but as long as he's not really freaking out, he should be able to stand a little discomfort while you squeeze the gunk out. Try pinching from the sides and slightly underneath the lump to coax it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts