Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orbit has had respiratory issues for her entire life, but I've been able to keep them under control using Baytril (10 days at a time and minimum 2 weeks in between doses) but has developed a rather large tumor. I assume it's a mammary tumor since it's just behind her right front leg and she is not spayed. I was letting it go since it hasn't affected her movement or breathing until now since it is pretty much the size of a golf ball and she seems to be a little annoyed by it and bites at it occasionally. She is in the bad stage of her breathing issues currently so I am going to do a round of Baytril, but I want her to be comfortable. I've heard that it is really dangerous for rats to get surgery when they have respiratory problems, especially since she is 2 years old so I'm not sure if I should get the tumor removed. She is a happy and active rat, but she has definitely slowed down in the past few months and has porphyrin around her nose and sneezes often.

Is surgery an option at all here since she is older and has breathing issues? If it's not, is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,807 Posts
Have you tried other antibiotics or combinations? She may be getting resistant to the baytril if she's been on it for only short periods off and on for a while. One of my girls has also had issues her whole life and I've tried a lot of things.. But earlier this year, she was on a course for 90 days. Try asking your vet about other options for treating chronic URI issues. I would hold off on surgery until her URI is under control or it could be risky for surgery. I hope she is well enough for surgery soon. Have you tried some of the home treatments for tumors? I always recommend turkey tail mushroom (can get it on amazon) because it possibly slows the growth of tumors. That might help her for a while until she is well enough for surgery, and it also gives a boost to the immune system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only had her on Baytril since she does very well in between doses (with very minimal sneezing) so I usually wait at least a month before giving her more. I just started a new round of Baytril tonight, so after the 10 days are up I'll schedule an appointment with the vet to see what our options are for the tumor. I'm also giving her flaxseed since I hear that's also helpful for tumor growth.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top