Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post and its a desperate one. Chad is a boy who I got from 6 weeks from a breeder who I trust, but he seems to have gotten unlucky and developed something on his belly. I've taken him to the vets and they've stated that they are willing to do a lumpectomy and can then determine what it is. Only trouble is it grew from the size of a pea to how it is in the picture within a few days, and the only slot for surgery is on the 25th! Im desperately trying to find any other vets who can operate sooner but in the meantime i'm wondering if anyone has any advice? Does it look like cancer, or an abcess? It moves with the skin but is solid like a tumor. Is there anything I can do to help his health while I try and find a vet who can do it earlier?

here's a video -

here's some pictures

Carnivore Grey Eyelash Whiskers Fur

Terrestrial animal Whiskers Liver Fur Wood

·
Registered
765 Posts
Never seen anything like that,it’s odd how it seems to be causing a whorl in the hair growth.It must be worrying but at least you have a vet appointment coming up.Most of the vets in our area have closed their doors to new clients due to being swamped with work due to the pandemic.I am sure he will be ok til then,and I hope it goes well xx

·
Registered
349 Posts
Never seen anything like that,it’s odd how it seems to be causing a whorl in the hair growth.It must be worrying but at least you have a vet appointment coming up.Most of the vets in our area have closed their doors to new clients due to being swamped with work due to the pandemic.I am sure he will be ok til then,and I hope it goes well xx
I agree - at least you have a vet appointment so help is on the way. All you can do is wait I guess. If it got really huge or ulcerated/nasty looking before then, I guess you could either phone the vet or send them a video/photo of it to see if it could be brought forward. I hope it all goes well for Chad. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It looks like it could be an abscess. You can try holding a warm moist compress to the area for 5-8 minutes or as long as he allows. Do this several times a day. If it is an abscess, then the black 'scab' you see there will loosen, and you'll notice ooze or fluid coming from underneath. They can be pretty nasty, and kinda gross, but you have nothing to lose by trying this treatment. Good luck!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree with tiny toes that it might be an abscess. I just went to the vet yesterday with my boy Ahab who had one on his face. Luckily I caught it in time. Try the warm water compress and if it does leak or burst, clean it with saline solution such as the stuff for contacts. If it is an abscess, it needs to be drained and lanced. Beware that if it drains, the stuff will be gross and smell bad. Clean the area no matter what to prevent the skin from becoming necrotic.Also use Neosporin after cleansing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts