Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed Juniper has a tumor on her underside!!!! It's under her left hindleg. What should I do? I can't afford a vet bill for surgery... :( I really wish I could but the vets around here are to expensive... What should I do?! :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
how old is she? Are you sure its a tumor and not an abscess? Your best option is going to a vet just to find out what it really is

·
Registered
520 Posts
Definitely take her to her doctor. There are things other than a tumor that can cause a lump. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
One of my girls currently has exactly the same thing, and the vet seems to think it's an abcess not a tumour (as it's squidgy and white - she's hairless so you can see the colour of it)

Get her checked out. It may not be as bad as you think.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would see a vet first you want to rule out what it exactly is. Just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a tumor!!! :cry: I had a vet look at her. (It cost almost $100 for the vet just to look! 8O )What should I do? Juniper is about a year old and the omega of her pack...she's also the oldest.... I've had rats a good 8-9 years now and had the good fortune to not ever have a rat get a tumor in all this time...so what should I do? I can't get her the sugery...I had to pull alot off just to make the bill for the check up... :cry: Please help!!! :cry:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
There really isn't anything for you to do if you can't afford a lumpectomy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should I seperate her from the others? (They REALLY pick on her) Or maybe I should put her with Marble...? Marble is the baby at only 4 months and she is currenly alone becouse the other girls WONT except her. Juniper gets along with her ok though... What should I do? How is the tumor going to affect her? Is her life going to be cut short? ...... :cry: ......What should I do...?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Considering where it's located, it's more than likely a mammary tumor. A small few don't grow very fast, but most of the time they rapidly double or triple in size. If/when that occurrs, she'll have more trouble walking, and if it gets large enough to touch the ground, it might become ulcerated from the friction. She more than likely won't have as long a life with the tumor, no. Again, it all depends on how fast it grows.

If she's stressed out from the other rats picking on her, I would suggest housing her with the baby. Stress is never a good thing for a rat, especially one who's ailing somehow.

There are some treatments for tumors, but in all honesty they're just a band-aid for the situation. A lot of people suggest the medication Tamoxifen, and supplements such as shark cartilage and coriolus (aka Turkey Tail) mushrooms.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've had a couple of rats now that have had tumours (usually inoperable ones) and my vet uses antiinflammatories (sp?) to help inprove quality of life. I've been told that tumours are mostly inflammation and I've known anti-I's to shrink the size of the tumour.

They're not a cure, but they certainly help as a temporary cause.

Can you not keep in under control for a while and save up for the op? Perhaps there's another vet close by that may be able to do the op for less? Just an idea. I know how hard it can be to afford vets sometimes!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tumor has tripled in size and I'm moving to a friends house up in a wooded area and I'm very worried about pregnancys from the wild rats. I'll be putting Juniper with Marble asap though and I'll let you know how things go...

·
Registered
25 Posts
My rat has gotten a tumor that I just noticed yesterday. It is about the size of the ball in my computer mouse. took her to the vet today and they said it was a tumor and that we should just remove it for $225.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mainstreet said:
took her to the vet today and they said it was a tumor and that we should just remove it for $225.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Ration1802 said:
I've had a couple of rats now that have had tumours (usually inoperable ones) and my vet uses antiinflammatories (sp?) to help inprove quality of life. I've been told that tumours are mostly inflammation and I've known anti-I's to shrink the size of the tumour.

They're not a cure, but they certainly help as a temporary cause.

Can you not keep in under control for a while and save up for the op? Perhaps there's another vet close by that may be able to do the op for less? Just an idea. I know how hard it can be to afford vets sometimes!
Sadly the anti-inflammatory effect is only on the tissue surrounding the tumour not the tumour itself. :( That is why prednisone is only effective for so long with PT (pituitary tumour), etc.

Its removal or the "watch and wait" approach usually. Wait and watch for signs they have had enough and the tumour is leeching too many nutrients from their body.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Super smart as always lilspaz :D

Mine have always seemed to do well on anti-inflammatory's while the tumour is reasonably small. It gives them a little extra time, or so I've found at least.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What sort of meds can I get without a vet that would work and how do I get Juniper to take'em?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
There are no meds you can get for a tumour, you'll just have to watch it grow and have her pts when her life quality is not there anymore. Be warned they adapt pretty well and its you that may have the mental difficulty in seeing her with it. When the tumour has grown too big it will start to leech the nutrients from her blood supply and she will start to seriously lose weight. One of the things you can do is limit the sugar in her diet as the sugars actually feed the tumours and make them grow faster.

I would say 75% of intact females develop mammary tumours, from my experiences. :( You have been extremely lucky not to have gotten any.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lilspaz68 said:
You have been extremely lucky not to have gotten any.
Until now. :( So there's nothing I can get "over the counter" to help Juniper? What about what Ration1802 said,about the Anti-I's? What exactly do those do? Oh and is there anything special I can give Juniper food wise? Extra vegie's...? Let me know!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts