Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spike has a sort of fatty feeling mass a little larger than a quarter on his left side towards the middle. I was freaking out when I felt that, so I checked him all over and I found a harder oblong shaped lump with a smaller circular hard lump right on top underneath his chin on his neck. His breathing seems kind of off as well. I knew he was getting old because he's not as active, but I never felt these until today. Idk if I'd really want to put him thru surgery because I do not know his actual age...i only know he is old. I got him and his brother splinter a little over a year ago. His brother splinter passed away about 6 months ago. When I got them they were already fully grown, so I'm sure that spike is close to 3 if not over 3 by now. I'm at a loss of what to do. He's my first rat. When I brought him home he chewed out of the box and sat on my lap the whole way home. I have such a connection with him...i don't ever want to lose him. I need advice. I'm scared he wont make it through surgery. Idk if he's in a lot of pain or not. He's breathing so oddly. He's just curled up on my lap right now. Should I just try to make his as comfy as possible? What should I do?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The squishy one is probably a fatty lump. They are usually benign anf harmless. i only worry if they are fast growing. If he's a bit fat you could lightly diet him and that should help keep the growth slow.

The other one, can you check if it is attached to the skin or the bone. If it's skin is likely to be a cyst which again is nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on it if it grows fast. If it's attached to bone is more worrying and u would get it checked out at the vets

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think the lump should be your concern right now but rather his breathing. He needs to see a vet to get this cleared up and then you can have his lump checked at the same time to see if indeed it too is a concern.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.