Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thistle had a vet visit today to see how much removing her tumor would cost. Turns out it'll probably be 100-200 bucks, not including pain meds.
I've decided to hold off on the removal for now. It's still small but it's going to get bigger. I'll have it removed before its large enough to start hindering her walking.

Here's the quotes I got today:

I could still use some advice on how to help her slim down. All treats have been switched to sugar free and diabetic sweets. She's still very active, and I'm working on redesigning the cage. Theres no ramps or ladders in it so they all climb all the time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A friend has a rat harness leash. Think she'd take to one?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She's not shoulder rat material so she doesn't go outside on adventures. I also never trust harnesses, rats can escape anything they put their minds to :/
Her mother was my only true shoulder rat, and since her passing I'm in the process of shoulder training my youngest.
You should read Rat Daddy's thread on shoulder rats, it's really quite awesome. Who knows, maybe one of yours has the potential.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Id cut out the treats and take her out for the first 15 mins the food goes in (if your not already you'll need to limit the groups food to only enough for one day). Whilst she's out try and get her climbing the stairs or cage for extra exercise

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
664 Posts
I just typed it in another reply, but basically mix apricot baby food, wheatgrass powder, turkey tail mushroom powder, and gogi berry juice. The turkey tail is the 500 mg tablets that you can pull apart to get to the powder. I make sure she eats two of those a day, mixed with like half a tub of the baby food, a tablespoon of wheatgrass and a splash of gogi. Dash was given weeks to live in September and is alive today with little growth in the lump on her side and the tumors in her lungs have noticably shrank when compairing X rays

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id cut out the treats and take her out for the first 15 mins the food goes in (if your not already you'll need to limit the groups food to only enough for one day). Whilst she's out try and get her climbing the stairs or cage for extra exercise
I'll give it a whirl. What I really want is to have her run on the wheel. Before I got my youngest no one knew what to do with it; but now everyone but her uses it, which is frustrating. I'm planning on adding large pvc pipes to the cage and around the room. They'll be at a steep angle to prevent them from just running up the outside of the pipes. The inside will have grips and air holes. I'm hoping i can use Cheerios and fruit treats hanging in hard to reach places as motivation for them to use the pipes.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just typed it in another reply, but basically mix apricot baby food, wheatgrass powder, turkey tail mushroom powder, and gogi berry juice. The turkey tail is the 500 mg tablets that you can pull apart to get to the powder. I make sure she eats two of those a day, mixed with like half a tub of the baby food, a tablespoon of wheatgrass and a splash of gogi. Dash was given weeks to live in September and is alive today with little growth in the lump on her side and the tumors in her lungs have noticably shrank when compairing X rays
I'll try that, thank you! I'm headed to the store anyway so I'll pick up what i don't already have. Thanks again, I'll tell you how she likes it!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It is $500.00 here to get a tumor removed. *sigh*

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is outrageous.

Sounds like your vet doesn't like rats and wants you to avoid her/him.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I second that, I'd be looking for another vet if I were in your shoes, Dusty.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've just ordered some wheatgrass powder, now all i need is the baby food (i haven't found the apricot one yet) and the goji juice. The whole mischief is on TTM. I put two 500mg capsules in two water bottles with their nightly tea, ( its chamomile and they absolutely love it). Treats have been cut back significantly. It looks like the tumor has grown a little but not by much. I'm hoping your recipe will slow it to a crawl.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts