Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! I am new to the forum and have some questions about my rat Skittles. Skittles is still a young rat, around a year old, and has developed two tumors on her body. I suspect the two she has are benign, but one is about the size of a golf ball and the other around the size of a small orange. They severely conflict with her movement and could also potentially cause more serious damage to her internal organs. I have set up a GoFundMe called "Rat in need please", to help raise money to get both of her tumors removed and improve her quality of life. My question is, has anyone else had rats with tumors? And, if so, is it worth getting them removed? What are the risk factors that play into the surgery? I have heard that it is a pretty invasive surgery, so I am sort of on the fence about this. She can't run around with her sisters anymore and has a very hard time moving around, so hopefully I can raise enough to get them both taken off her. Though, it would be nice to have some further knowledge on what I might be getting into, and also have some feedback from some fellow rat owners. There will be pictures down below. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh dear god, you really need to get her to a vet, and take their advice on treatment.

I'd had one rat have a mammary tumour removed, but it was much smaller than in your case. About twice the size of a grape. The surgery went fine, and the vet put a small cone on her to stop her biting the stitches. The vet said it could be removed "after a few days". Unfortunately the minute we took it off, she bit the wound site and re-opened it, so had to be taken back into surgery to have it closed.

After the second surgery, she was back in a cone. We had to keep it on until the wound site had fully healed, which was over 3 weeks. Once we did remove the cone, she started scratching at her head where the cone had been - it had obviously been really itching. She scratched so much that she pulled out all her fur and had a horrible sore red patch. This was within 24hrs of the cone coming off. We ended up back at the vet, who gave her an anti-histamine shot, which thankfully took effect very quickly and her skin healed up very quickly after that.

She was about 15 months old when she had the surgery. I'm not sorry we had it done, but she really suffered with the recovery process. The cone really frightened the other rats, so we had to put her in a separate cage. It made it difficult for her to eat and drink easily. She was really miserable.

She is now about 2.5 years old and she has developed another 3 (small) tumours, but at present none of them are interfering with her mobility. If they do begin to, we will euthanize her, as at her advanced age she would be very unlikely to survive an anesthetic, and the cone business would probably finish her off anyway.

In your case I would be inclined towards surgery but it's up to your vet to decide whether that's appropriate for her.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh my god that is huge
You havent mentioned what the vet has said?

This is really really upsetting to see
Please get it sorted asap, if you cannot afford surgery she may need euthanising she must be in agony you cant leave her like that

How long has it taken for them to get to that side?
please please tell me shes been seen to by a professional

1 - 3 of 3 Posts