Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had my fancy rat, weebles, for 2 years now. her friend fizzgig just died a few months ago and i haven't found her a new playmate just yet due to moving around so much.

right after fizzgig died weebles got a large tumor like bulge on her side. it's only gotten bigger. it doesn't seem to bother her. but it drags on the floor now when she's walking around. i know cats and dogs can get fatty tumors, is that normal in rats?

and now, her girly parts are swollen and what looks to me, a bit bloody. can rats go into heat?

any help anyone can give me would be very helpful. thank you :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
tumors should always be removed if possible, It sounds like she has a mammary tumor.
as for her bloody parts, you definitely need to get that checked out by a vet right away. blood isn't a good sign.

Females go into heat every 3-4 days, but there is never any blood involved.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
She needs to be seen by a vet.

That blood isn't 'heat'... it's blood. Something's wrong with her that will likely require surgery..

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
She probably has a urinary tract infection or a uteran infection. She does need to see a vet for that. How old is she? She would do better with a tumor removal but I have known people to watch for quality of life after a tumor appears and let it go. I don't think I could do that though. If she is young I would definately go and get that removed.

But the main concern here isn't the tumor, it seems to be the blood on her vulva. That needs immediate vet attention or it could kill her quick :(. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts