Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very sad to report that my rat Timothy has a tumor on the left side of his lower belly. I dont really know what to do about it. Should i leave it and let him live out the rest of his days or should i take him to a vet to see if the can remove it. Also he is 1.5 years old and I don't know if it is a good idea to operate on him anyway. He is still eating and drinking. He still comes up the the cage to say hi to me so I don't think it is bothering him. Also if I do leave it when it gets huge and he can't walk around or eat and drink should I put him to sleep? I was really wishing I would never have to post this but here I am. (SIGH).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Definitely take him to the vet. It probably can be removed and there's a good chance it's benign. It's possible it's an abscess or cyst too and not a tumor at all. But you won't know unless you get him checked out. He's not very old at all. He could still have 2 years of good health if he's well taken care of.

One of my girls just had a very fast growing mammary tumor removed and she's doing wonderful. My girls are also about 1.5 years old. Unfortunately, her tumor came up just after I'd been laid off from work. I had to wait about 5 weeks before I could get her in because I just didn't have the money. Her tumor went from pea size to the size of large biscuit in that short a time. It was killing me to watch it get bigger and bigger daily! But her surgery went fabulous and she recovered with no problem. Luckily it was a benign mammary tumor which are so common in rats.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I guess I will take him to the vet to see if he can do anything about it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good for you! And your sweet baby! Do you have a regular Exotics Vet that you see or do you need help finding one? I'll be happy to help you if you'll message me your general location. And here's praying that it's something simple and inexpensive to take care of! If it's a simple abscess, he'll probably just need antibiotics and warm compresses.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If you can get a photo of the location that would also be good, theres one location in particularly that is very prone to abcesses on bucks underside

·
Registered
604 Posts
I just wanted to pop in here to say I am sorry this situation has arisen JAnimal. I know it is a very hard one to deal with and it does take a lot of thought. If you have a vet you trust completely, then it takes a lot of weight off your shoulders. Talk to them, discuss the options and use them to help you make the decision that works for you. Both options have pros and cons and it is a decision that truly, only you can make. There is no right or wrong here. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Uhg vet on vacation and I have to go to another one which Ive never been to. Hopefully it isnt bad. I cant get a pic because he wont stay still unless I hold him with two hands. I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's a tumor but it is getting removed tomorrow. The vet says it shouldn't be to hard because it isn't attached by a lot. Any advice on the recovery.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Make sure the vet uses gas anesthetic, make sure to send food with your rat (no fasting for rats), ask what pain meds they give during the surgery and what oral pain med will they be sending you home with? Each injectable pain med has a different time it would wear off. IF the vet insists they don't need take-home pain meds, then pick up infant liquid ibuprofen and we can work out dosages to keep him comfortable post-op.Depending on the surgery, and how the rat is recovering from the anesthesia I often put them right back in their cagemates as they are stressed without them.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a shorter cage so that he cant climb as much and I think I will put him in that cage. He was at the vets all day because they wanted to moniter him so he should be fine enough when he comes home that he can be with his cage mate.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts