Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm basically heart broken right now and I have debated whether or not to post on a forum but I just think I need the option of other rat owners.
My rat Rue is over a year and a half. She'll be 2 in February. Last week I cleaned the rats' cage, and handled them and noticed nothing. The past week I've been doing job interviews and what not, and last night I finally had enough time to bring out the rats for play time.
As soon as Rue came running out I noticed a very big lump on her side. It wasn't there yesterday as far as I am aware. I figure it's a tumor. I felt it and it's very hard.
I start my new job next week and I have no money for the vet until I get my paycheck. Even then I don't know if I can afford it. I want to take her to the vet to confirm that it is in fact a tumor or whatever it is, but I just can't afford it. I feel very guilty.
In the mean time, before I get paid, what should I do? Keep an eye on her? She is her normal self so I don't think she's in pain.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
If it wasn't there yesterday, it's likely an abscess. There's a sticky on them. Try warm compresses, ideally it would grow and come to a head and pop. When it does, flush it well with saline and keep flushing it until it closes up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nanashi7 has some great advice! Can you afford just getting an exam for Rue? Or can you borrow the money? I'm sure it would give you great peace of mind. If it happens to be a tumor instead of an abscess, tumor removal is usually a very easy surgery and recovery for most rats.

Thinking positive for you and Rue!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took up an extra nannying gig this weekend and I get some money tomorrow. I'll make an appointment for her on Monday. She's still acting like herself, I am just trying not to freak out. I may afford a check up! And depending I how much the surgery is I might have to borrow money from my mother, if she is willing to help.
Thanks for your positive thoughts !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
395 Posts
My rat had a tumor this past April and it was removed. My vet said he was concerned and he was right to be because it came back five months later. The way I see it is I extended her life for a few months and we had a great time together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Poor rue. You are making the right decision. As long as she isn't in pain then just leave her be. We have all been there. It is heartbreaking when it happens but she could live for a long while yet so enjoy her while you can x

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did your vet tell you why it's not a good idea to operate? The only reasons I've ever heard this to be the case is 1) If the tumor has grown so large it becomes attached internally. 2) Similarly, the tumor is cancerous and has spread to other parts of the body.

Usually if it's a tumor you just noticed recently, it's not a problem to remove it.

I'm not trying to cast doubt on your vet or to make you think you have to operate, just making sure you're getting good information for taking care of Rue.

Thinking of you both!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also had a tumor pop up on my REW named Ratatouille, she was taken to a vet that specializes in rats. The Vet took her into surgery and removed the tumor within minutes. I also had it sent out to be tested for piece of mind so I know what kind of cancer it is. My rat was back to her normal self the next day. I know what thoughts and concerns are in your head, you said the lump was hard, can you try to see if it moves WITH the skin or does it feel attached to the body UNDER the skin? If it feels like it moves with the skin then this can easily be removed by a Vet but I suggest taking your rat to a specialized Vet who has experience operating on rats. If you do decide to operate on her just do your research on it, do NOT let them use anything but anesthesia administered through gas, no injectionable anesthetic as this can kill the rat. If you have any questions feel free to ask, being as I just went through the same situation as you I feel your pain and want the best for your little Rue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.