Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:!: Ok so I have tried using the search feature and don't have time before work to look thru billions of pages...
One of my rats has a huge tumor (mammory) that she has had for awhile. Now she has developed a mass in her genital region. I have no money to have these tumors removed. I have had tumors removed from one of my rats awhile back and it was 90 dollars a visit...she is now a 200 dollar rat and has developed another tumor...but she is not the one in question.
I feel horrible for the one with 2 tumors. Should I have her "put down"? I don't want to but she seems like she is in discomfort. She walks on her big tumors all the time. She still eats, etc but it makes me sad. What do you think I should do?

The vet will say to have them removed...I can't even afford the visit but if need be will have to borrow to put her down. I know this sounds so horrible. I just hae ha some recent financila tuff happen.
Help

·
Registered
393 Posts
If she seems to be in pain or discomfort you need to either get her pain medicine or have her euthanized. Are the tumors open at all? Do they have any open sores on them? Make sure the vet you choose uses gas before the injection. It may cost more but the injection (directly into heart or abdominal cavity because the animal is so small) is painful so you'll want to be sure she is put under with gas before they perform it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had this same experience once. Only the Vet i was useing at the time quoted me $250 to remove the tumor :roll: I knew it was BS but at the time i had no other options for the surgery, and there was NO way i could afford it. I was broke from the consult :cry: I planned on having Piper put to sleep but she died in her sleep at home before that could happen. She acted normal right up until that night. I made her comfortable as best i could. It was terrible.

The tumors can be annoying to them, but they don't "hurt" Until and unless they eventually rupture (which can happen, and THAT as you can imagine would be terribly painful). If you can't afford the surgery and the tumors are THAT large the best thing you can do is avoid a potential catastrophe and make the appointment to put her to sleep as soon as possible. At the size i assume you're discribing she has very little time left naturally, most likely less then a week. With a second one growing now her body is being depleted on nutrients because it's all feeding the growing tumors. You don't have much time to deside.

I'm very sorry this is happening to you and to her. I'd like to reiterate what Darksong said though. Make sure the Vet puts her to sleep before the injection.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. There are no open spots on the tumors. I called the vet and it is under 30 dollars. I will have to wait until next week:( But it is going to be done first chance I can get in. I am glad that she is still eating and seems to be ok for now.
I would NEVER have the injection. Isoflourene is the only way to go.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'ts weird to read that someone haven't got the money to take one's rat to the vet. I didnt also know how much is it.
1$ is 10EEK or something like that.
So in dollars surgery is something like 30-60$ (300-600EEK)
Monthly people got normally 8000-14000EEK.

Sorry for you. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had B'Elanna put to rest as well as having to put another to rest due to age/health. The vet that I usually go to uses the injection. She wouldn't even let me be in the room when she did it. If I ever have to go thru this again...I will find a vert who uses the gas. I thought she would because she is the only vet in the area that is listed in "Critters". I was wrong.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If she feels uncomfertable, give her some pain medicine. Ask the vet for some idvice if you should 'put her down' or not. I live in the California Bay Area and the usual prices or cost for tumor are $300/ good luck with your rats and keep us updated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
wow. you were lucky to visit the vet with a good price. god, you made me jealous now...

·
Registered
261 Posts
omg OMG you poor thing omg omg OMG

pts?! *faints*

1 - 11 of 11 Posts