Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this site, I'm usually on the UK version, but hope you guys may be able to help me :)so my little old lady Rassy, has 2 mammory tumours, since April she's had 4 removed, but they keep returning in new places as soon as ones removed!Iv very reluctantly decided to leave these, as at the moment they're not bothering her in the slightest. but understand that when they do affect her mobility that's when shel go off to ratty heaven. I decided to ask my vet for some galastop, which she's been on for about 3/4 weeks now. the lumps are still growing, whether it's reduced the rate, I'm not sure. does anyone have any tips for foods or anything that could help? remember I'm in the UK :) and if you could give me an idea of where to buy this stuff from i would be hugely grateful ;)Thanks in advance !

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Turkey tail mushroom has been said to help a lot with tumor growth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh that's the stuff iv heard of!Il give it a go, nothing to lose! does anyone know how much to give her from a capsule ?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I don't think you can overdose on it, so a full capsule is fine.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Yeh that's the stuff iv heard of!Il give it a go, nothing to lose! does anyone know how much to give her from a capsule ?
Common dosage for tumor treatment is 1/4 capsule (100mg) per rat, daily.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've tried turkey tail mushroom with 3 different rats and unfortunately I have yet to see any effect from it. The best thing I've found is to completely eliminate sugars from the diet. This includes hidden sugars in non-sweet foods, you'll have to start reading labels. Sugar feeds the tumors and makes them grow more quickly. On a sugar-free diet the tumors will still grow, just not as fast.

By the way, Rassy is adorable! Is she a black-eyed white?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The efficacy of turkey tail is completely dependent on the type of bloodflow to the tumor. A large, singular vein feeding the tumor will benefit the most. Tumors will several smaller feeds won't benefit.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I can't say I've had any benefit from turkey tail mushroom either... although it didn't hurt anything.

I'm planning to try Sodium dichloroacetate, often referred to as DCA if our current rats get tumors... it's used mostly for human cancers (off label) but it has been tested on rats where it showed some promise. It's not a controlled substance, but it's also not commonly available to the public... how you get it is up to you. There are some web sites that claim to sell it, but I can't say how legit any of them are.... You will need a very fine scale to administer the correct dosages... this stuff is measured in terms of grains per pound, so think lab or gem scale.

Best luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your replies everyone!I'm running out of ooptions so il try anything to reduce the growth rate! Luckily but no so luckily all her lumps aren't affecting her mobility in the slightest at the moment. even though she has one about the size of a large grape! rassy was very very grey when I bought her and now she's almost all white ! it's so bizarre how their colours fade so much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts