Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The boys I notice are developing pea sized tumours under their neck.It doesn't seem to be attatched to anything, it's just by their throat. You can move it around okay.

I don't know if it's a full blown tumour, because i've had females with tumours before, this one seems a bit squishier. Maybe it's a cyst?

Anyways, how much do you think it would cost to get it removed. Does it have to be removed surgically or can it be shrunk with medicine, and which ones more cheaper?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh man, I just looked at some of the females, and four of them have tumours, plus another three of the males. I don't have that kind of money. I might have to put them down, I don't know what to do.

If they're like 30-40 each, I can probably do as i'm getting a little more money in from a friend. I'm worried they'll get more though, as i've had rats that have had two tumours. These guys are young too, like 2 months old, so i'm worried as they get older they will develope more.

Ugh these rats are stressing me out, i'm having trouble finding homes for them, I have 13 rats I need to find homes for and i'm running out of space to hold them.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
it would have to be removed surgically. call a doc and get a quote from them before you decide how much is too much. also contact any rescues that take in rats (especially any rescues specifically FOR rats in your area) and maybe contact a shelter to see if there is any way they can get you reduced or free medical care. if anything else, put them up for adoption. if the tumors are still small, there is a chance that someone else will be willing to adopt a rat and then get them medical attention. if you can afford to put a rat down, you should be able to afford *some* medical care, and it's not fair if the rats still have a fighting chance.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
um if they are squishy they might just be abscesses which you can easily treat yourself i have treated numerous abscesses with no returns pm me if you want some info

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright well I took all 7 of them to the vet (the taxi drivers loved that haha) and they are an abscess which i'm treating with antibiotics.

Good thing they arn't a tumour, the cost would have been 200 per rat here.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My rat Mika had a little tumor by her elbow and my vet did a laser surgery with sleepy gas, not injection. She had stitches for a few weeks and I was happy with the results.
The whole thing cost me $50. I really like my vet. Sadly, a while after getting healthy, Mika got 3 tumors all at once coming from her insides. She is a very old lady now and gets around okay, but I don't know what I'm going to do If she ever becomes incappacitated. I could not let her pass form dehydration or starvation. For now, when she passes I hope it is peacefully in sleep or something, and not a dreadful trip to the vet.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Tumors can eventually cause your rats a lot of distress and thats when you have to decide they are not happy any more and its time to give them a final gift and help them to the Bridge. Its not an awful experience for them, its much worse for you, and I am sure most rats are thanking us as they leave their diseased or painful bodies with our aid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i've had a couple of rats who have had tumours, it was a very sad experience.

Thankfully mine have abcess's though, but they don't seem to be responding to treatment.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
it can take a while for an abcess to go down. and sometimes you need to physically drain the bugger (while still giving the antibiotics to prevent infection in the area). hopefully things will start to clear up soon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
yeah abscesses can take some time to heal(i get them myself all the time, haha, med condition) they're a pain but relatively easy to take care of. if you see it drain on its own make sure you help it drain also, then clean it a little and let it stay open. (which you might not have to do, if theyre not that bad theyll most likely go away without having to drain it).

if they dont go away and stay around and get worse you might need to drain them on your own. use a hot compress(hot water on a rag will do, hold it on there for a while(might have to keep getting it warm, then try a little pressure and see if it will drain). then drain it completely/clean and leave open.

might want to check with people to make sure thats how you do it to rats also...but thats how people do it ;p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts