Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea when it happened, but I realize yesterday that Murlow' had somehow mashed his face on something! His right tooth was broken, just barely hanging on and facing into his throat, so I grabbed a cotton swab and helped him get that out, I'm not sure if the root is still there. I was able to see where it broke off when the tooth was still in his mouth, but not it just looks like.
Then I realized that I think his left tooth is kind of... twisted. I do not believe it's facing in any odd direction, it literally looks like it was just grabbed and twisted around, like it's facing kind of to the side rather than the front. That one also has some black on it at the top, possibly a cavity?
Now, my question is do you think this will be a problem for him? Will I have to get this fixed somehow? I'm pretty sure he can still eat fine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I don't think you'll need to do anything. Rats don't always have straight teeth, plus they move around a lot with all the bruxing. One of my girls has crooked teeth and my vet always jokes that she needs braces. But she eats and chews fine and it's just how she is.

I would think that the one you had to pull out will grow back.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It may be that the other tooth is broken at the root from the fall and not yet loose enough to come out. Don't be surprised if it vanishes in a few days.

In terms of what to do, the first thing is to make sure he's able to eat, ideally you want him eating as much hard food as possible as this will help make sure his broken tooth will grow back normally as well as preventing his other tooth from becoming malacluded. If he's struggling though you can offer his occasional wet meals. If the teeth start moving well out of line as they grow back I would take them back in for a burring. Whilst this involved knocking the rat out its far less likely to damage the tooth root than clipping the teeth so may only need doing once as opposed to the rest of their lives if a clipping fractures the root.

The next thing is to look at what your feeding, rats tend not to break there teeth easily, even in quite big falls. However if they are deficient in certain viatmins and minerals (vitamin d and calcium being the main 2) then this is more likely to happen. Kidney failure can also cause calcium deficiency but this is only common later in life)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the responses, guys.
Isamurat, you kind of worry me about kidney failure, They're all on blocks which should be giving them all the nutrients they need, and I haven't seen this issue with any of the other rats as of yet. However, my boyfriend did say that his pee was quite orange or something when he got peed on by him on the weekend, I didn't see it though. Is that possibly a symptom of kidney failure? I assumed that maybe he just didn't drink enough water, so his urine was darker.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Kidney failure tends to see them drinking too much, so dilute urine, however it is well worth testing if your worried about it. I use urine multi reagent dip sticks sold for humans, you can pick them up on amazon for about £10 for a 100 here and they are very handy to have in. Make sure oyu get ones with protein, glucose and blood on them at minimum. Then its a case of getting him to pee on a clean smooth surface and dipping the relevant bit of the strip in. I make sure I dip for all three of those then get the other stuff if needed. You want to try and pick a time well away from any high protein meals he might have. Then your looking for abnormal readings. If the protein levels are above + I repeat the test the same time the next day. If its really dark green or I get a repeat positive I take them to the vets for a proper check up. Also keep an eye out on the blood one as this can indicate a UTI. My vet is pretty accepting of results I've got and uses them to help aid her diagnostics.

How old is he and what brand blocks is he on. On paper blocks can be ok but they don't take into account how a rats needs varies with different times of lives.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He just turned a year in October, and I'm not actually sure of the nutrition facts on the brand I get, as I get it from a guy who's been feeding it to his rats for years without issue. I think it's called Masterfeed or something, I have a big bin I pour their food into and then throw the bag out, I'll have to check it out if I still have one kicking around. Perhaps it's not as good a food as I think it is, but I don't see why not since I've got rats the same age as this one who are eating it and are fine.
I looked at him lastnight and noticed the other tooth was now gone, but the one that first broke appears to be coming in fine. He is also seeming much more back to himself since losing them, they must have been bothering him.
I'm thinking he had bad teeth because I spoild the heck out of him and he gets a lot of sugary foods. I watched him eat hard food lastnight, though. So I do know he's eating.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, was looking at the website for Masterfeed and couldn't find the food, and apparently it's a special blend that they make for the guy I know, the company my dad and I buy from is a feeder breeder company, so.
I guess I will simply have to check the bag for the nutrition facts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts