Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Turvy developed an ear infection and a head title along with it. She's been on antibiotics for the infection and steriods for the head tilt that stayed even after the infection was cleared. I had her back to the vet yesterday for a re-check on the head tilt.
He said the title may be permanent and eventually, she'll adjust.

But her balance sucks since the head title. She has taken a number of falls in the age. Thankfully, those falls didn't include any injuries. But she's certainly more hesitant now (she was always very active... almost frantic).

Does anyone have an experience with this? Is there anything I can do to help her?

Registered
oh dear, so sorry to hear Turvy is not well. I have no experience, I wish I could help. It must be like a kid who just doesn't understand they can't climb that jungle gym or chase their friends on the playground anymore 馃槦

Reactions: lfraser06

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh dear, so sorry to hear Turvy is not well. I have no experience, I wish I could help. It must be like a kid who just doesn't understand they can't climb that jungle gym or chase their friends on the playground anymore 馃槦

Yep - it's a lot like that!

I probably should lower their cage to just the one level ..... but that's not fair to either her or Gigi. So I'm not quite sure what to do. They mainly sleep on the upper level and their litterbox, food and water are all on the lower level. I have put a fleecy hide on the lower level for Turvy - but then she misses cuddling with Gigi.

Registered
I鈥檝e had something similar unfortunately - My girl S鈥檓ores had gotten a head tilt, and even with the medicine, she still kept the head tilt after. When it happened, she was definitely more cautious, and even refused to leave the cage. I ended up putting more hammocks in the cage to break falls, and ramps. I also added the thingy that serves as a bottom layer for the top part of the DCN, prior to before (Yeah, I鈥檓 probably making no sense, I forgot what it was called, lol)

She still didn鈥檛 leave the cage, even during free time. So, I decided just to gently take her out a few times during free roam, by picking her up out of the cage (Usually I would let them come out on their own). Over-time, she started coming out of the cage on her own, and started climbing things again, and well, acting normal again. However, her balance is still pretty off, and she still has the head tilt.

I hope everything goes well with Turvy D:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts