Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I noticed that my rat Boba has a small lump under her arm that I didn't know what it was but is most likely a tumor. She had one several months ago which she had surgery to remove.
Today I noticed that her sister, Mochi, has the exact same thing at the same spot, but on the opposite side!
The lumps don't seem to be that hard. They are firm, like flesh, but not squishy. When Bobas lump first appeared it was movable, but doesn't seem to be as much now.
Please tell me what you think. We are hoping for an abscess or something, we would hate for it to be another tumor.
Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The best way to find out what the lumps are is to have your veterinarian examine and aspirate them. If it were me, I'd take them in for exams as soon as possible. Lumps can grow quickly and the sooner you take care of them the better.

Have you considered spaying them? Spaying significantly reduces mammary tumors and can lengthen their lives. If what they each have now are tumors, they can probably be spayed at the same time the tumors are removed.

Sorry to hear your babies have these lumps. It's never fun but at least there's usually something we can do to help them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding! We are taking them to the vet this week, but we don't think they can get surgeries because Boba has had a tumor removed already and the doctor said it would be unlikely for her to survive. If they get spayed, will that reduce the growth? I am hoping that they can both get surgeries since we spotted it early.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If she's managed one surgery she is more likley to pull through a second as long as it's not been too soon after the other And it's well healed. spaying may shrink lumps a little and it will slow there growth but won't stop them. The best bet is for a lump removal and spay in the same op which is normal over here

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And it's been several months since her first surgery, she seems pretty well-healed. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So we took them to the vet today and they do have tumors, but the doctor said that since the tumors are both still small that they can both get surgery! They will be getting surgery on Wednesday. Wish them luck!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's great they can both have surgery to have the tumors removed. Are they good candidates for spaying as well?

It took me awhile to find a rat vet in whom I had confidence for spaying my rats. Most vets I asked appeared hesitated to spay. I appreciated their hesitation since they hadn't done very many rat spays. I finally found a vet who has done almost 1,000 rat spays and she received 2-3 recommendations from other pet rat owners who highly praised her.

In any case, I'm so glad you're getting the tumors removed. There's very few reasons not to remove tumors. Thinking of you, Mochi and Boba!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much! Unfortunately, our vet can't do spaying so we decided against it. The surgery is today, I'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The surgery went well! Mochi and Boba are back home. Boba still looks very tired and weak but Mochi is excited and wild, which she normally is not. Thanks for all of your help!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
So glad to hear the surgeries went well!

I've found it isn't always easy to find an experienced rat veterinarian who's comfortable with doing spays. Some areas where I've lived, the vets are very experienced with rat spays. Other areas, they haven't been experienced and have, in fact, been very hesitant about performing rat spays. Keep looking, though, for the future. It took me 7 years of living where I live now before I found a veterinarian who's performed almost 1,000 rat spays!

Sending positive, healing wishes to you, Mochi and Boba. <3

1 - 12 of 12 Posts