Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!
I recently got two babies two weeks ago, and when I say baby, I mean weaned for about a week babies. They were going to be snake food so I took two of them home.
How, last Saturday one of them started having a lot of congestion so I made an appointment for the following Tuesday seeing as I had a rat neuter appointment anyways so I just took him in when I picked up my other boy. The second rat started showing the same symptoms so I took him in, as well, on Friday.

They prescribed sxt 48 (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim). The baby I took in on Tuesday actually went back because he started open mouth breathing, and he will do it occasionally. They both also got a injection of antibiotics.
I steam them both twice a day and I am investing in getting a humidifier for them.

My question is, what else can I do?? I give them both dark chocolate once a day. They just both sound so miserable. And the open mouth breathing really concerns me. Most of the time they sound fine and popcorn around. They are eating and drinking just fine. They just don't sound any better. I am just nervous to ask for anything else like baytril and doxycycline because I read that those are not good for babies (especially 7-8 week old babies). Should I maybe ask for clavamox or amoxicillin? I just don't want to be taking them back and forth because the stress would honestly just make it worse.

A friend of mine got their two sisters and her rats went to the same vet and are on sxt 48 once a day. They didn't get antibiotic injection but hers don't sound as bad as mine. The one I took on Tuesday gets medicine (.01) twice a day and the other gets it once a day at.

EDIT: I also have three adult males in the same room but separate cage. Two of them are 14 months and one is maybe 7-8 months. They haven't shown any symptoms at all and have come into contact with the young ones. I am hoping they will not catch anything but should I move the babies far away just in case?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If its bad i would go for a combo of septrin and coamox as a pretty good combo. My worry would be of this isn't respiratory. Often heart issues can sound like resp problems and can occur in v young rats

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's just weird to me because her two girls stared having this problem, and then two days later one of my boys started having it. The second boy baby I got is unrelated to them (could be the same father for all I know, but different mothers). All of them were fine the first two weeks we had them.

Also, an old co-worker of mine bought three other brothers of theirs and they were sneezing and have had a little discharge, and he said he was going to have them checked out, but no squeaky breathing, as of Thursday.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Where are you located? I posted elsewhere, there is Sendai virus going all over in the US. If you weren't quarantining properly for four weeks (no judgement, I can't properly qt either) then if they were carrying this virus it will have passed to others. This doesn't sound like sendai because it doesn't sound bad, but I was just throwing it out there because you were wondering about quarantine and coincidence of illnesses.

Medicine should alleviate symptoms within 5 days, if no improvement you should switch. Baytril causes growth issues so if it comes to it I would rather a stunted rat than a sicker one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I am fully aware of Sendai and although my city has listed it, I'm sure my older males would have been sick (also I work at a pet store and none of our animals are showing any kind of symptoms). One of my boys just got neutered so he defiantly would have caught it if they had it. And yeah I need to QT better but I don't think whatever this is is going to spread to my others because they are happy as clams.

I'll have to call the vet back Monday because they just don't seem to be kicking this at all. I'm really worried about the poor little guys. And yeah I'd rather have a stunted rat than a dead/very sick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts